Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Newb Question - bottle limitations  (Read 3649 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: NHC Newb Question - bottle limitations
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 07:32:36 am »
While I can't speak for this comp, in comps I've judged in the past, we have allowed these bottles, but they are frowned upon. I believe the judges have the right to reject the bottles, but rarely, if ever, do. You will not lose points for it, but there is a section on the judging form about appropriate bottles.
No, judges are not allowed to reject entries. But they can bring it to the organizer's attention. In reality it would have to be a big violation for that to happen.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

The registrar and competetion organizer can reject, though.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 07:36:42 am »
While I can't speak for this comp, in comps I've judged in the past, we have allowed these bottles, but they are frowned upon. I believe the judges have the right to reject the bottles, but rarely, if ever, do. You will not lose points for it, but there is a section on the judging form about appropriate bottles.
No, judges are not allowed to reject entries. But they can bring it to the organizer's attention. In reality it would have to be a big violation for that to happen.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

The registrar and competetion organizer can reject, though.
Yes.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Bruce B

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Overcome, Improvise, Adapt.
    • Bruce's Brewing Adventures
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 04:31:13 pm »
I rarely bottle, but when I do, I have used German half liters - great strong bottles, but not permitted in the NHC.  If Sam Adams is too light of a bottle, which commercial brewer uses a strong bottle as you have suggested?

I usually use the German half liters as well.  For competitions I personally use either New Glarus, Lakefront Brewery, or Milwaukee Brewing bottles but I have a feeling that this won't do you any good.  Dogfish head I think are pretty good as well.  I'd suggest you head down to your local store where you can get craft beer and check out what is available in your market.
Prosit, Sláinte, Salute, Na Zdravi, Cheers! - Bruce
Beer Barons of Milwaukee - http://www.beerbarons.org
Coordinator - Midwinter Homebrew Competition
BJCP National, Mead, & Cider Judge
BJCP Education Director
AHA NHC Final Round Judge Coordinator

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 07:23:06 am »
I usually use Bell's bottles for all my competition entries.  They sell cases of bottles in their homebrew shop on the cheap so whenever I make it out of K-Zoo I pick up 6-7 cases.  Usually they are between $5-$7 a case.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 03:51:00 pm »
Too bad. They allow 16 oz but not 16.9? I thought it was more about the bottle fitting in a standard case. I thought the German 500s did fit.

They're great bottles though. Double Mountain in Hood River uses them so I have several stored up.

A number of Belgian beers (Saison Dupont, St. Bernardus, Rochefort among them) come in unmarked 33 cl bottles that are very heavy and very close in size and shape to 12 oz. long-necks (ISB).

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 04:29:01 pm »
Just checking as a first time entrant to the NHC - can one use bottles that have raised lettering, like Sam Adams or Birra Moretti or Sam Smith has on them.  I haven't bottled 12 oz bottles in so long that I realize that most of mine have raised lettering and a buddy mentioned that a local competition required plain glass with no raised lettering on them.  I don't want to get bounced before I even get my swill tasted!
Hi,

This is all covered in the NHC Rules & Regulations http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/competitions/national-homebrew-competition/rules-and-regulations/.  Good luck in the competition!

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 06:01:03 pm »
Thanks, Janis.  I feel a little bit like the student asking questions that are answered right there in the instructions to the test. :-[ :-[ ???
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"