The extension should make brewing 10g batches very nice. I figured it was $25, why not?
What is the gap setting on your MM3, Jeff? I used it at the factory 0.045 setting (as recommended) and was fairly disappointed in the efficiency. 65% for the Dry Stout and 51% for the Maibock. I'm used to running 75-76% with a single batch sparge and the ol' Barley Crusher. I think I might drop it down to 0.039 since the crush looked pretty coarse. All cracked and nicely separated husks, but still fairly coarse. I used to run the BC at 0.038 I think.
And yeah, I guess you guys could start calling me 'AmandaB'.
+1 on the hopper extension. Big and sturdy.
I have my first batch using my MM3 in the fermenters. I couldn't get myself to leave the gap at .045 as the instructions suggest and set it to .039 which is where I used to run my BC before it crapped out. My mash efficiency was 78.5%, I don't have final numbers yet for overall efficiency but if I hit my numbers it will be ~82.4%. This is for a very low OG Berliner at 1.034, so there's that.
Crush looked pretty nice and fine. I am a little concerned that the husks were perhaps shredded more than I would like but I haven't confirmed any detrimental astringency yet. Sparge was just fine with a 40% wheat grain bill and no rice hulls added.
Nice build, looks awesome!