Author Topic: Starting with RO Water and adjusting from there  (Read 1892 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Starting with RO Water and adjusting from there
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 10:32:29 AM »
I always brew with 100% RO water, and use Brun' Water.  What with the chlorine and changing sources during the year I figured it would be best.  Sometimes it is a bit of a pain getting all the water I need into the HLT if I start too late.
Steve
All Hands Brewing

Online james

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 10:53:42 AM »
I always brew with 100% RO water, and use Brun' Water.  What with the chlorine and changing sources during the year I figured it would be best.  Sometimes it is a bit of a pain getting all the water I need into the HLT if I start too late.

I'm all RO now also and had the same problem.  I used to put my RO output i my boil kettle and when full switch to my HLT.  Of course sometimes it would overflow and make a mess in the garage if I was away when it was full or forgot to check in it.

So I took one of those 20ish gallon plastic wine fermenters and turned it into a reservoir with a float valve and weldless bulkhead/spigot.  Works great.  Next upgrade will be to mount it higher so I can use gravity to fill the HLT instead of having to pump

Offline mabrungard

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 03:35:43 PM »
I have a big pressure tank for my RO. It also supplies the tap at the kitchen sink and the ice maker. For 10 gal batches, the 20 gal pressure tank is just sufficient to supply the water needed. In general, a pressure tank needs to be twice the size of your demand. You folks using an open tank are good to go with a tank sized equal to your demand. You are more efficient with your RO system output too!

I hear from a lot of brewers that prepare a single large batch of water for the entire batch's needs. I've always prepared and heated separate batches for the mash and the sparge. Even when I had only a single pot for heating the water! All it takes is planning. There is no extra equipment needed. This also allows me to focus on the unique needs of the mashing water chemistry. Sometimes it needs a little alkalinity, while sparging water never does. Two batches of water work for me.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Water/464551136933908

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 06:33:08 PM »
Thanks, Martin! I have just ordered a system with a 20 gallon accumulator, based on a friends suggested brand on the internet.  I will shortly be joining your paid group and making awesome water!  I figure this system will pay for itself in a little over a year based on my bottled delivery water consumption in the past for my household.  Hopefully the plumbing is not too daunting...my friend can help, so I am not too worried.

This forum is great to give me the confidence to do these things.  Thanks, again.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 07:05:59 PM »
Thanks, Martin! I have just ordered a system with a 20 gallon accumulator, based on a friends suggested brand on the internet.  I will shortly be joining your paid group and making awesome water!  I figure this system will pay for itself in a little over a year based on my bottled delivery water consumption in the past for my household.  Hopefully the plumbing is not too daunting...my friend can help, so I am not too worried.

This forum is great to give me the confidence to do these things.  Thanks, again.

What did you get, exactly?
Amanda Burkemper
Kansas City Bier Meister; BJCP Master
Redbird Brewhouse - There's Always a Project
Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 08:07:57 PM »
My friend has this system and says that his filters last almost a year (I think my demand will be greater, but figured that I would give it a try):

http://www.waterfiltersonline.com/detail.asp?product_id=Hydro_4vtfc75g

I don't have this in hand yet, but am looking forward to installing it, Amanda.  My wife is skeptical, because she thinks this is just another beer-related purchase...but, hey, I have water science guys suggesting RO, so it gave me enough cred to win her over on a trial basis.  She says if it isn't working after 3 months, she reserves the right to return to delivered bottled water (at $7.50 per delivered 5 gallons).  I figure it will pay for itself inside of a year.  We will see....I am betting it works out fine.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 08:10:10 PM »
Also, I upgraded to the 20 gallon accumulator tank.

I am so jealous of those northwestern US brewers with the good water out of the tap!

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 10:36:21 PM »
I am so jealous of those northwestern US brewers with the good water out of the tap!

Very much glad to be a Northwestern US Brewer. The Water is one of the many great things about living out here.  8)
In a Keg: Flanders Red Ale, Rye Altbier, Cascade/Topaz Pale
Fermenting: Flanders Red, Saison

Offline klickitat jim

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 03:29:41 AM »
Agreed! Except I'm in flood stage runoff mode right now, so next week's brews will be distilled with a bit more Ca and Lactic than normal for me.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 06:08:34 AM »
My friend has this system and says that his filters last almost a year (I think my demand will be greater, but figured that I would give it a try):

http://www.waterfiltersonline.com/detail.asp?product_id=Hydro_4vtfc75g

I don't have this in hand yet, but am looking forward to installing it, Amanda. 

Hmmm... would you mind taking a picture of the install when you're done? I'm curious to see if this would work in my brewery.

Martin, what type of system do you have? And where are you keeping such a large tank? Are there any upgrades you would need to a 'normal' system to push RO water into a larger tank?
Amanda Burkemper

Offline mabrungard

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 06:16:27 AM »
My system is down in my mechanical room, so there is space. Adding extra storage to your system is very easy. If you are running a pressurized system and you already have the typical small pressure tank that many home systems come with, all you have to do is Tee in another pressure tank(s) into that line that the existing pressure tank is on. It is that simple. If you get a great deal on multiple small tanks, its OK to gang them together by Teeing them onto the line.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Water/464551136933908

Offline coolman26

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 08:39:05 AM »
Isn't there quite a bit of waste water with RO systems?  What do you do with it?  Is the waste filtered some?  I would love to get an RO system, but don't know where to get it. 

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2014, 08:50:19 PM »
Yes, the waste water is significant, but I am on a well system, so I can afford to use a fair amount of water, because it only costs me the electricity to pump it. 

I got the larger accumulator tank to accommodate storage as Martin indicates.  Since I don't have it yet and haven't got an actual result as yet, I have to say YMMV to the max.  I would possibly feel very different if I was paying a lot for my water.

I will keep you posted, Amanda, but I doubt that I will have this installed and running until later in March.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 06:06:25 AM »
Yes, the waste water is significant, but I am on a well system, so I can afford to use a fair amount of water, because it only costs me the electricity to pump it. 

I will keep you posted, Amanda, but I doubt that I will have this installed and running until later in March.

Thank you. Waste water is one of my concerns. Where does it all go? What's the RO to waste on some of these home systems? I have a feeling it's like 25% efficient.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 06:20:07 AM »

Thank you. Waste water is one of my concerns. Where does it all go? What's the RO to waste on some of these home systems? I have a feeling it's like 25% efficient.

You are right about that - I have heard that it takes 4 or 5 gallons to make one RO gallon with these systems.