Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chateau Abbey Malt  (Read 2669 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Chateau Abbey Malt
« on: February 12, 2014, 09:17:37 am »
At a LHBS closing, I bought a 55 lb. sack of Abbey Malt for a fire sale price

http://www.castlemalting.com/CastleMaltingMaltSpecification.asp?Command=QualityParameters2&SpecificationID=137&CropYear=2013&Language=English

With the statement " Up to 10% of the mix" looks like I have a lifetime supply of it. Anyone have much experience with this stuff?  Any recipe suggestions?  It would be nice to make some sort of Belgian Imperial Porter or whatever that I could start using this up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Chateau Abbey Malt
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 09:28:56 am »
At a LHBS closing, I bought a 55 lb. sack of Abbey Malt for a fire sale price

http://www.castlemalting.com/CastleMaltingMaltSpecification.asp?Command=QualityParameters2&SpecificationID=137&CropYear=2013&Language=English

With the statement " Up to 10% of the mix" looks like I have a lifetime supply of it. Anyone have much experience with this stuff?  Any recipe suggestions?  It would be nice to make some sort of Belgian Imperial Porter or whatever that I could start using this up.

I used 7 or 8% in a Dubbel last year and liked it quite a bit. It has some residual sweetness but not like you'd get in a crystal. I think it could be used in a lot of beers.
Jon H.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 09:55:25 am »
I think it is similar to Munich in some ways, or maybe I'm confusing it with MFB's Abbey malt.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 03:37:15 pm »
Pretty sure this is Castle's new name for Aromatic malt. If so it's going to take a while to use up a sack of it. I like to think of Aromatic of an amped-up Munich. I love it, but a little goes a long way.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 03:45:46 pm »
If that's the case, I normally use ~ 5% Aromatic (when I use it) so the 7 or 8 I used of the Abbey wasn't too far off. It's a good malt but Aromatic does go a long way, if that's what it is.
Jon H.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 09:49:49 am »
Yep, I am thinking I will be making a lot of dubbels with this stuff.  Good think I like dubbel.  :D

Castle's website calls this a "Belgian brown malt".  They make an aromatic and a Munich.  Think of English brown malt, the stuff is so variable between different maltsters, its hard to know exactly what its like.  Guess I am just going to have to brew something.