Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carboy Disaster  (Read 5371 times)

Offline jds357

• Cellarman
Carboy Disaster
« on: February 16, 2014, 08:48:45 pm »
I had a really sweet double batch brew day lined up yesterday; a coffee stout and IPA.  It was my first double batch on my Brew Magic so I was pretty pumped.  The morning was enjoyable after I resolved a stuck mash.  After hitting all my numbers and successfully finishing out the coffee stout I began the IPA.  I love IPAs and I love coffee so I was particularly excited about this batch.  It was one of the smoothest brews I've ever done.  What a great day!  I had just cooled and transferred over 12 gallons of a gigantic beer into two 6.5 gal. carboys.  I moved one carboy into my fermentation cellar (my closet)  ;) and picked up the other one to put it in its home as well.  I walked closer to my closet ready to pitch the yeast and clean up.  As I bent over to set the carboy down, I clipped the side of the one already on the ground.  This shattered the bottom of the one I was holding, spilling 6.5 precious gallons all over my carpet.  The one I grazed shattered too.  Blood and wort EVERYWHERE.  Have you ever seen 13 gallons of wort on carpet?!  I wish I could un-see it!!!  I just finished shampooing the carpet for the 5th time and I think I have another couple times on the horizon tomorrow...  Don't worry... the coffee stout survived and is happily fermenting  8) 

What's your worst brewing mishap? 

Jonathan

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
Re: Carboy Disaster
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 12:21:30 am »
Jeez - that sounds like about the worst way ever to end a brewday.  Are you ok?   :o

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 05:27:30 am »
Ouch!  I hope you are alright.  This is why I use plastic primaries.  I have not broken a glass fermenter, but I lost a 10 gallon batch once to a pedio/acetobacter infection that arose from the plastic and aging too long in the plastic primary.  I have now gone to separate vessels dedicated to sours and others that are dedicated to ales and lagers that are not sour, so I have avoided that issue since then.

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 07:15:16 am »
Holy sh*t, what a terrible way to end what sounded like an awesome brew day! I hope you're okay. I used glass carboys for years, but just recently switched to fermenting in kegs. No more worries about breaking fermenters.
Jesse

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 07:24:46 am »
It's amazing more people aren't maimed or killed by carboys. When something you're carrying breaks or slips its a natural reaction to grab harder, trying not to drop it. The heavier the thing is the more violent the reflex. Glad you weren't hurt too bad.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 08:10:17 am »
Damn. I think it's time to retire my one glass carboy for holding emergency drinking water or some other "prepper"-type use. These types of stories scare the crap out of me. Glad you survived!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 08:34:57 am »
Been there, done that.  Got about a dozen stitches from my broken carboy. Couldn't wait to buy some buckets .      ;)
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 08:41:36 am »
It definitely seems like I am reading more of the stories over the past few months although I am reading fewer homebrewing forums on a regular basis.

It's exactly why I never got into glass carboys. I have to transport by fermentors from the kitchen downstairs to the fermentation space upstairs (and back down for bottling) and the idea of carrying a wet, slippery glass carboy up and down the stairs sounds dangerous. Not just for cuts but having the carboy slip out of my hands and knock me off balance and down the stairs. No thanks, I'll just rely on my bucket and the two better bottles I have to move up and down the stairs once a year (for sours). The only glass fermentors I have are five liter jugs that come with a handle built in. Fortunately I haven't broken any of those.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 09:04:27 am »
I am wondering if it has something to do with the way the glass is made now days. You hear stories of Pyrex exploding because the new formula is different then years ago. Wondering if the same could be said for carboys?
For those that have had disasters from broken carboy, was it a newer one or older? IS there such a thing as an old carboy, or are there no old carboys because they don't live forever?
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 09:13:55 am »
I had a really sweet double batch brew day lined up yesterday; a coffee stout and IPA.  It was my first double batch on my Brew Magic so I was pretty pumped.  The morning was enjoyable after I resolved a stuck mash.  After hitting all my numbers and successfully finishing out the coffee stout I began the IPA.  I love IPAs and I love coffee so I was particularly excited about this batch.  It was one of the smoothest brews I've ever done.  What a great day!  I had just cooled and transferred over 12 gallons of a gigantic beer into two 6.5 gal. carboys.  I moved one carboy into my fermentation cellar (my closet)  ;) and picked up the other one to put it in its home as well.  I walked closer to my closet ready to pitch the yeast and clean up.  As I bent over to set the carboy down, I clipped the side of the one already on the ground.  This shattered the bottom of the one I was holding, spilling 6.5 precious gallons all over my carpet.  The one I grazed shattered too.  Blood and wort EVERYWHERE.  Have you ever seen 13 gallons of wort on carpet?!  I wish I could un-see it!!!  I just finished shampooing the carpet for the 5th time and I think I have another couple times on the horizon tomorrow...  Don't worry... the coffee stout survived and is happily fermenting  8) 

What's your worst brewing mishap? 

Jonathan

Mine is almost exactly like yours, except both carboys broke.  I started using buckets and never looked back.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 09:19:49 am »
I banged a 5 gallon carboy filled with 9% abv Imperial Stout in August with Nesco roaster lid, that caused an inch square hole to open up right where the side of the carboy starts to curve up to the neck.  If I was smart, I would have let the beer drain to the point where the beer level was below the hole, but I panicked and tried to lift it up to a counter to start siphoning it into a keg. That caused the entire glass structure to fail.

The cuts on my leg were minor, and it was in the basement next to the floor drain, so clean up was easy.  But dang....how come it couldn't have been a pale ale or a brown ale, instead of Imperial Stout?  :-[

Offline jds357

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 09:28:15 am »
Yeah I'm ok guys... Just super sad about my lost wort, cash, and time. (In that order)  Both of the ones that exploded were brand new.  This is the first time anything like this has ever happened to me during the three years I've been homebrewing.  This incident has made me want to switch to stainless steel for sure!   

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 10:47:08 am »
Glad to hear you're ok, sorry to hear about the lost beers though...
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 10:48:11 am »
To paraphrase: "There are two kinds of glass carboy users; those who've broken one, and those who will."

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 01:38:40 pm »
To paraphrase: "There are two kinds of glass carboy users; those who've broken one, and those who will."

Ya beat me to it, Lee!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell