Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dubbel feedback  (Read 7990 times)

Offline foxbrew

• 1st Kit
dubbel feedback
« on: February 16, 2014, 09:37:33 pm »
hey all - first, thanks to those who offered suggestions about my previous pale extract recipe.  i was trying to help out a friend, and because of your helpful feedback, i tweaked the recipe a bit and hopefully put together a tasty pale.  we'll see in a few weeks!

i was hoping you could give me a little input on a dubbel recipe i put together.  i looked at several different recipes, and tried to find a balance between all of them (this has been my strategy recently, as i still don't feel comfortable creating a recipe completely on my own).  any (ANY!) feedback is appreciated … trying to make my wife happy with this one!

(5.5 GAL)

11 lbs Belgium 2 Row Pale
12 oz Caramunich
12 oz Special B
8 oz Biscuit Malt
8 oz Wheat Malt
4 oz Carafa I
1 lb Candi Sugar

1 oz Styrian Goldings - 60 min
.5 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker - 20 min
.5 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker - 5 min
Abbey Ale Yeast (WLP 530)

thanks in advance.  this forum is the best.

brent

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: dubbel feedback
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 09:40:17 pm »
I think I'd lose the caramunich, the biscuit, and the wheat. they just don't need to be there. That's my thought.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 04:58:02 am »
Way, way too much crystal malt (caramunich and special b - don't need both). You also don't ned the biscuit. Make sure you use dark candi sugar - the liquid kind is by far the best.

If it were me I'd drop the cara munich and cut back on the special b to 4-6 oz. If you get the Dark Candi sugar you may not even need any of the special B.

Simplicity is usually best when designing recipes. Keep it to 2-3, maybe 4 malts for most beers.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 05:22:42 am »
Way, way too much crystal malt (caramunich and special b - don't need both). You also don't ned the biscuit. Make sure you use dark candi sugar - the liquid kind is by far the best.

If it were me I'd drop the cara munich and cut back on the special b to 4-6 oz. If you get the Dark Candi sugar you may not even need any of the special B.

Simplicity is usually best when designing recipes. Keep it to 2-3, maybe 4 malts for most beers.

+1  LOoks far to complex for a first brew, start simply and tweak with rebrew.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 07:50:13 am »
Simplicity is better, but then there's curry.  ;)

I've brewed the 'Leftmalle Dubbel' recipe Charlie Papazian published in Zymurgy years ago. It is fantastic.

7lb pils malt
8oz aromatic malt
8oz honey malt
8oz English crystal 80L
6oz caraffe malt
2.5 lbs agave nectar (actually, I used date syrup)
1lb rapadura sugar

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 08:48:53 am »
First of all, I wouldn't waste my time with the Candi Sugar. If you want real dubbel-type flavor, then you need Dark Candi Syrup (i.e., D-180). The candi sugars don't do much (if anything) on the flavor side.

If it were me, I'd definitely cut out the Caramunich and Wheat. If you change the candi sugar for dark candi syrup, you can probably skip the Carafa. I love Special B in a dubbel, but 12oz might be a bit much - a little goes a long way. Maybe drop it to a half pound.

The Biscuit I can go either way on. I like what a touch of Biscuit or Aromatic gives to the dark Belgian styles, but I generally skip it in dubbels, and reserve it for my Quads where I want to develop a little more malt complexity to stand the test of time. A half pound would certainly be appropriate in this style if you like it.

A great dubbel recipe is the one for La Trappe Dubbel on the candisyrup.com site (http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/la_trappe_dubbel_-_variation_003x.pdf). The combination of the D-90 and D-180 syrups gives a real nice complexity. It has become my SOP for my dark Belgians.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 09:06:21 am »
Just to pile on, the wheat malt is an unnecessary confusion in the recipe. Sugar is traditionally added to those trappist styles both for flavor and to thin out the beer. Wheat malt will add body to the beer. No reason to add body at the same time you are adding a different ingredient to take it away.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 09:12:40 am »
As has been said, you need candi syrup.  Candi sugar is a rip off and adds no discernible flavor to your beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline foxbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 09:45:22 am »
you guys are awesome.  thank you!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 04:47:49 pm »
Maybe I'm a goof, but I like a touch of wheat in my dubbel.

As far as the candi syrup, I prefer D-45 in a dubbel.  I also toss in about 8 oz of aromatic.  Or biscuit if that's all I have around.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 04:52:51 pm »
My last dubbel which I'm drinkin' right now has Pils malt, Munich, touch of Special B, and Candisyrup D-90. I don't think it'll last long. ;)
Dan Chisholm

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 05:00:15 pm »
I love the smell of special roast and special B.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 05:32:52 pm »
I would drop the biscuit and caramunich as well. I totally agree on candi syrup - it's fantastic in dubbel and quad. But I use candi syrup along with special B on these styles pretty often- I love the dark fruit/raisin character a lot. But I'd cut the special B in half though.
Jon H.

Offline foxbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 08:01:39 pm »
so you've convinced me to cut out a lot of the specialty grains and try the candy syrup, but now i just need suggestions on how much syrup.  are you guys just adding 1 pound, or more?  i've seen some people suggesting 2 pounds … that sounds like a lot!

and 90 or 180?  or both???

thanks again

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 05:44:53 am »
so you've convinced me to cut out a lot of the specialty grains and try the candy syrup, but now i just need suggestions on how much syrup.  are you guys just adding 1 pound, or more?  i've seen some people suggesting 2 pounds … that sounds like a lot!

and 90 or 180?  or both???

thanks again
I use 1 lb of D-90 for my dubbel, but either 90 or 180 would be fine. Just remember the 180 might make it too dark for the style guidelines (if that matters to you). I just made a Belgian Dark Strong and I added 2 lbs of 180 and it's very dark, but smells fantastic.
Dan Chisholm