Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dubbel feedback  (Read 8048 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: dubbel feedback
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 09:13:47 am »
If this is your first dubbel, I'd pick one of the two syrups go with that, mainly so you can get an idea what it brings to the final beer. Either the 90 or 180 will suit you fine.

As far as how much to use, I like 15-20% simple sugars in a dubbel to help it finish dry. Whether that comes all from the syrup, or from a combination of syrup and table sugar is a matter of personal preference.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 11:11:41 am »
How are you guys feeling about adding the syrup to the fermenter or at flameout?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 11:17:25 am »
I usually add it with maybe 10 minutes left to the boil, but flameout or fermenter should be fine, too, if that's what you want to do.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 11:22:15 am »
How are you guys feeling about adding the syrup to the fermenter or at flameout?

Flameout for me on the dark syrups. I feel it preserves more of the flavors.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 11:39:35 am »

I always add it at the beginning of the boil.  That way I get the hops utilization the recipe is spec'ed for and I don't forget it later.  I have found no downside to doing it that way.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 11:40:23 am »

Have you done a comparison to adding it earlier?  I haven't found it to make any difference, but maybe I'm missing something.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 11:50:41 am »

Have you done a comparison to adding it earlier?  I haven't found it to make any difference, but maybe I'm missing something.

I added dark syrup (D90) at ~ 15 minutes left on a dubbel and thought it came out great. Then about a year later I brewed it again - same yeast/temp, almost but not exactly the same grist with the D90 added @ flameout and felt that the flavors were more pronounced and clean - better. I attributed it to this, but with a slight change in the grist I guess i can't say that for sure. I felt that the D180 character in my quads was better at flameout, too. I know there are a lot of variables, though.
Jon H.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 12:41:11 pm »

This is a philosophical answer more than scientific, but I believe any syrup that is boiled during production (candy, maple, molasses, etc) can be added at any time during the boil. All volatile aromas should be long gone anyway.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 12:47:18 pm »
I was thinking that flavor would be preserved or pronounced by adding the syrup to the fermenter.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 01:07:02 pm »
I was thinking that flavor would be preserved or pronounced by adding the syrup to the fermenter.

Yeah, I know that's what's often said, but I just haven't found it to be the case.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 03:22:31 pm »

Yeah, I know that's what's often said, but I just haven't found it to be the case.

I have added sugar to the fermenter at high kreusen, but it wasn't the dark sugars you're using for these beers.  It was table sugar in a Belgian Strong Golden.  It works well for yeast health in my opinion.  You don't need as much yeast to start out and it's ready for the sugar by the time you add it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 03:43:34 pm »
I have added sugar to the fermenter at high kreusen, but it wasn't the dark sugars you're using for these beers.  It was table sugar in a Belgian Strong Golden.  It works well for yeast health in my opinion.  You don't need as much yeast to start out and it's ready for the sugar by the time you add it.

I have no doubt that's true, but from my perspective I just can't see why it would be advantageous to be able to pitch less yeast at first.  I mean, I'm making a starter anyway, so why not make one big a bit bigger to accommodate the sugar added to the kettle?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 04:19:29 pm »

I have no doubt that's true, but from my perspective I just can't see why it would be advantageous to be able to pitch less yeast at first.  I mean, I'm making a starter anyway, so why not make one big a bit bigger to accommodate the sugar added to the kettle?

Well, it's because it's pragmatic.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 05:57:02 pm »
I haven't brewed one yet but I'm curious. I think I read or heard that if too much simple sugar is added too early that the yeast will go after those and then get lazy (wrong term for something with no brain probably) and will stall leaving maltose behind. True or myth? If it's true, seems like adding toward the end of high krausen would be best.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 06:09:18 pm »
I haven't brewed one yet but I'm curious. I think I read or heard that if too much simple sugar is added too early that the yeast will go after those and then get lazy (wrong term for something with no brain probably) and will stall leaving maltose behind. True or myth? If it's true, seems like adding toward the end of high krausen would be best.
I say myth
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958