Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kohatu Hops  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
Kohatu Hops
« on: May 04, 2014, 11:00:32 am »
I made 6 gallons of imperial red ale using 8oz of Kohatu and 4oz of Pacifica.  It was the first time I used Kohatu. 

The commercial description is "this is a big aroma hop with intense floral characters of pine needles and tropical fruit. Trial brews brewed with this hop were only moderately hoped and displayed great quality of bitterness and well rounded fruity hop characters".

I used 4oz of Kohatu, 3oz of Pacifica and 1oz of Summit in the boil.   Dry hopped with 4oz of Kohatu and 1oz of Pacifica.  The beer was 75ibu, 8.3% abv and 15 srm.  FG was 1.012.

Kohatu didn't quite live up to its commercial description for me.  It was definitely fruity, but it reminded me of a mixed red fruit juice similar to Hawaiian Punch.  I couldn't distinguish individual fruits.  The pine character was subtle.  The bitterness was soft.  The 75ibu beer drank like a 35ibu beer.

Overall, I wasn't too impressed with Kohatu, but might give it another chance someday in a fruit beer.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Kohatu Hops
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 11:28:20 am »
That's funny, because your description actually intrigues me even more to try this hop. Sounds like it would be nice with some citrusy and stone fruity hops in a fruit-bomb type IPA.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
Re: Kohatu Hops
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 11:45:24 am »
It's worth a try, if you are looking for a new fruity hop.  I didn't find it to be offensive at all.  Didn't hate it.  Didn't love it.  It was definitely fruity.