Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another Cacoa nibs post  (Read 2391 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Another Cacoa nibs post
« on: February 26, 2014, 10:50:01 am »
Which is better? Vodka soak or nibs in secondary? 4 oz enough per 5 gallon?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
Re: Another Cacoa nibs post
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 07:36:43 pm »
OK, some one out there has experience with these. Right? ;) I did a search, found Drew suggests the vodka soak and Gordon says add to secondary and remove and rack when taste is right.

Anybody? Bueller?

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 07:52:15 pm »
I have only done the Vodka Soak. I did 4oz in my Mild, and I got more aroma than flavor. I haven't tried adding to secondary.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 08:17:34 pm »
I used nibs in the secondary for a NB milk chocolate stout extract kit a couple years ago. It was the worst beer I've ever brewed. So I wouldn't use it as a measuring stick.

Yeah... Not sure why I posted anything. I guess I wasn't much help  :P
Frank

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 04:28:39 am »
Five ounces of nibs in a bag added to the keg and removed after 4 or 5 days worked great for me in a Doublebock.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline arustyt

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 05:18:39 am »
I used cacao nibs in an experimental Chocolate Porter last year.  I split the batch into 4 one gallon jugs for secondary and pitched a different level of nibs in each.

To start with I bought raw nibs before I learned that they should be roasted to bring out the flavor.  So my first task was an experiment in roasting cacao nibs.  After trying three different temp/time combinations this is where I landed. One roasting method suggested roasting at 150 F for 10 minutes then 120 F for 10 minutes. I may be wrong but that does not sound much like "roasting" for me, so I assumed that the temps were really in C instead of F. This translated into the following:
  • 300F for 10 min.
  • 250F for 10 min.
After roasting I weighed out the nibs for the following pitching rates:
  • 1 oz./5 gal. = 0.15 oz.
  • 2 oz./5 gal. = 0.30 oz.
  • 3 oz./5 gal. = 0.45 oz.
  • 5 oz./5 gal. = 0.75 oz.
I added just enough vodka to cover the nibs and let it soak for about 10 days.  After soaking the vodka/nib mixture was dark brown and smelled awesome, like chocolate cake. I pitched the vodka and nibs into each secondary jug.

Initially after carbonation the 3 oz./5 gal. was the best in terms of chocolate aroma and flavor without bitterness; 5 oz./5gal. was a little bitter.  However, after a month or so the bitterness in the 5 oz. sub-batch subsided and it became the favorite.

It comes in pints? I'm getting one!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 05:30:22 am »
I used 6 oz in a Porter during secondary and I thought it wasn't enough. I like the keg idea.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 06:34:40 am »
OK, some one out there has experience with these. Right? ;) I did a search, found Drew suggests the vodka soak and Gordon says add to secondary and remove and rack when taste is right.

Anybody? Bueller?

I treat the nibs the same way I do coffee - in the keg in a nylon bag with a string which I pull when it gets where I want. Cold steeping in beer is pretty underrated, and you can control the flavor pretty exactly.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 06:39:40 am »
Interesting about the toasting. Anyone else tried this?

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 11:03:09 am »
Do the brewers best Cacoa Nibs come pretoasted?  This sounds like a great way to get that roasty chocolate aroma in beer!
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 01:43:58 pm »
I don't know about brewer's best, I ordered mine off Amazon. Pretty sure they were "raw" so I'll probably toast them. Think I'm leaning toward the vodka soak. Did this with vanilla beans and worked great. Thinking about adding 1/2 a vanilla bean too to bump up chocolate flavor.

So I'm thinking (for 10 gallons) 8-10 toasted nibs and 1/2 vanilla bean in vodka for 3-4 days.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 01:50:58 pm »
I don't know about brewer's best, I ordered mine off Amazon. Pretty sure they were "raw" so I'll probably toast them. Think I'm leaning toward the vodka soak. Did this with vanilla beans and worked great. Thinking about adding 1/2 a vanilla bean too to bump up chocolate flavor.

So I'm thinking (for 10 gallons) 8-10 toasted nibs and 1/2 vanilla bean in vodka for 3-4 days.

assume you mean 8-10 oz of nibs?

All this talk about cocoa nibs makes me want to go buy some just for eating. mmmm chocolate walnuts.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 02:04:32 pm »

All this talk about cocoa nibs makes me want to go buy some just for eating. mmmm chocolate walnuts.

Yeah, Trader Joes sells dark chocolate covered cacao nibs that are like crack. I can't buy them or I'll eat the whole tin in like 2 mouthfuls.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 05:28:22 pm »

yes. ounces.

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 07:28:04 am »
I just tossed 6 ounces of crushed nibs into my secondary.  5 gallons of a 7.3% ABV Stout.  I'm not sure if you need to worry about sanitizing with vodka unless it's a flavor thing.  They just fall out like hop pellets.  Cold crash and they all drop.  14 days in the secondary.  Good flavor but subtle.  Next time 8 ounces.  Unless I just got lucky, it's been 6 months and there is no sanitation weirdness....
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........