Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I was surprised...  (Read 4792 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
I was surprised...
« on: February 18, 2014, 08:13:31 am »
the other day at the LHBS.

The book rack had about 4 times as many copies of Papazian's The Complete Joy of Homebrewing as Palmer's How to Brew!

I asked the LHBS dude if they sold more of Papazian's book- and he told me they sold far more copies than HTB. This surprised me as my assumption was that it went the other way.

Almost bought a 3rd edition; wish my old dog-eared copy from 1993 hadn't been sold back in 2002. Think I might have got 20 cents at Half-Price Books for it. Some interesting recipes in the 1st edition that I'd like to try that don't appear to be in the third.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
Re: I was surprised...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 08:39:24 am »
I don't know euge, if you go to another brew shop, it could be the opposite. The people at the shop are probably more familiar with Papazian's book (it was my first brewing book 20 years ago) than Palmer's so they feel comfortable selling it. My company, for fun, sells pellet bbq's. Each of my employees prefer a different model grill therefore when talking to people recommend a different model. I wish they would try to sell the same one for inventory purposes but oh well....

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 08:50:54 am »
Kinda why I started this thread. The new edition of TCJHB appears to be completely updated. But, I lack any reference now.

HTB is on my coffee table...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:57:50 am »
Charlie's book may have sold more since it was first published, current cover says >1million copies, and it is published by Harper Collins. HtB was the highest selling book in the Brewers Publication catalogue. 3 or 4 years ago, Kristi Switzer stated it had sold over 60,000 copies. Has to be over 100k now with the huge growth of the hobby.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 09:00:26 am »
HTB is on my bar next to the Water Book and Stan H's Hop Book.

I guess Papazian's book is a good introduction to brewing with the humor and relaxed approach.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 09:53:59 am »
Since we're talking books, I've gotta give a shout out to "Brew Like a Monk".  If you're into Belgian beers, you HAVE to have this book!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 10:09:01 am »
+1 to BLAM.  One of my favorite and most referenced books.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 10:31:30 am »
Always within reach! Farmhouse Ales as well.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 10:41:44 am »

+1 to Blam and Farmhouse Ales

Denny...when is your book with Drew being released?
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 11:43:49 am »

+1 to Blam and Farmhouse Ales

Denny...when is your book with Drew being released?

Nov. 2014.  And in all modesty (  :) ) I've got to say that it's shaping up to be one of the most comprehensive, yet different, brewing books I've ever seen.  Kind of an anti-How to Brew.  We don't tell you how to brew...we give you the options and tools to decide for yourself.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 12:20:43 pm »
Stan H's BLAM is great, I agree.  He has Tomme Arthur's double in there, if I recall correctly (raisin addition in the fermenter- I did them in the boil - Doh!).  Great stuff.

I can't wait for Denny and Drew's collaborative effort and FWIW, I did CP's Claude of Neptune 2 as revised by CP in the December Zymurgy, IIRC.  It is lagering in secondary with dry hops as I write this...can't wait to sample it in a couple weeks.

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 01:29:54 pm »
I actually think Charlie's book is a great read for beginners. Even the outdated books. It really has a way if inspiring brewing creativity. The recipes where a blast to read and I used to thumb through them over and over again when I first hit into brewing looking for ideas. It may have been outdated compared to HTB but the techniques made very good beer and there was a creative spirit there that was unquenchable.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 01:49:12 pm »
I actually think Charlie's book is a great read for beginners. Even the outdated books. It really has a way if inspiring brewing creativity. The recipes where a blast to read and I used to thumb through them over and over again when I first hit into brewing looking for ideas. It may have been outdated compared to HTB but the techniques made very good beer and there was a creative spirit there that was unquenchable.

+1 I still recommend it to first time brewers and actually gave my copy to a brewer who was just starting out.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 01:52:48 pm »
+1. The RDWHAHB cliche really is really great advice for new brewers. The whole tone of the book is fun, exciting, and well.......relaxing to the nerves of somebody brewing for the first time. I'll never forget how much I enjoyed reading it cover to cover. I was like a kid at Christmas when I realized "I can do this s#$^ " !
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:26:35 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 07:43:48 pm »
+1. The RDWHAHB cliche really is really great advice for new brewers. The whole tone of the book is fun, exciting, and well.......relaxing to the nerves of somebody brewing for the first time. I'll never forget how much I enjoyed reading it cover to cover. I was like a kid at Christmas when I realized "I can do this s#$^ " !

Exactly.  What a welcoming introduction to the hobby.  I remember reading that thing voraciously, feeling like I could conquer the world!  Sipping that first homebrew (Elbro Nerkte's Brown Ale) was unforgettable.  The Sparrow Hawk Porter was wicked good too.  Did anybody ever actually brew the Goat Scrotum Ale?   :o