Author Topic: I was surprised...  (Read 1395 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
Re: I was surprised...
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 07:57:35 PM »
Or the Cherries in the Snow? I wanna try that one, for sure!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 08:51:20 PM »
I think Joy of Homebrewing is a good place for any new brewer even if it is chock full of dated info because it does such a good job of giving the impression that making good beer is within reach. I wish somebody would take his attitude and scope of information and filter it through accurate and current homebrewing knowledge.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing but I'm also a lawyer: The Kielich Law Firm

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
    • On Beer
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 10:33:48 PM »
For the first decade I read, and re-read Charlie P's books religiously...and then, as my experience mounted, I didn't use the book at all.  I eventually moved on to Daniels' Designing Great Beers, and then I think that info got a little stale (in the second decade), and desperately needs an update.  I recently got a copy of Palmer's book as a gift, and I couldn't stay focused....it isn't that it isn't good info, but still pretty basic.  I am sure there are nuggets in there, but I lose interest.  I feel like I am half way between the two in my philosophy anyway(that is what brewing is, ultimately, philosophy on a bunch of a priori and a posteriori prepositions).  There is also the battle between the art and science, the free form movement of American Homebrewing and the BJCP style guide, but it is changing so fast, a regularly published book can not keep up with all of us, though I wish it could.  The internet and this forum works wonders, however.

I still have my original copy of The New Complete Joy....I should try to read it again....but fear the worst.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline klickitat jim

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 10:53:07 PM »
+1. The RDWHAHB cliche really is really great advice for new brewers. The whole tone of the book is fun, exciting, and well.......relaxing to the nerves of somebody brewing for the first time. I'll never forget how much I enjoyed reading it cover to cover. I was like a kid at Christmas when I realized "I can do this s#$^ " !

Exactly.  What a welcoming introduction to the hobby.  I remember reading that thing voraciously, feeling like I could conquer the world!  Sipping that first homebrew (Elbro Nerkte's Brown Ale) was unforgettable.  The Sparrow Hawk Porter was wicked good too.  Did anybody ever actually brew the Goat Scrotum Ale?   :o

Never brewed it but a coworker did. Heroic effort. Definitely different. Can't remember the special ingredient,  isn't it juniper berries? Made me think of the old man in Life of Brian.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 11:20:11 PM »
+1. The RDWHAHB cliche really is really great advice for new brewers. The whole tone of the book is fun, exciting, and well.......relaxing to the nerves of somebody brewing for the first time. I'll never forget how much I enjoyed reading it cover to cover. I was like a kid at Christmas when I realized "I can do this s#$^ " !

That's how I felt too, I couldn't put it down. Fun and most of all empowering in a way that few reads truly are.
Thank you Charlie! 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brew Crew
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Steve in TX

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 11:43:54 PM »
Joy of Homebrewing = good read
How to Brew = good reference

I think both are required for new brewers and I will often gift one or the other depending on experience. Thanks Amazon.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 09:44:13 AM »
Did anybody ever actually brew the Goat Scrotum Ale?   :o

Guilty.  That recipe gives you a long list of "extras" you can add.  I'd only brewed a few batches and had no idea what I was doing, but I recall adding spruce, molasses, and a couple other things.  I had to force down the entire 5 gallons because nobody else would drink it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 03:40:47 PM »

Guilty.  That recipe gives you a long list of "extras" you can add.  I'd only brewed a few batches and had no idea what I was doing, but I recall adding spruce, molasses, and a couple other things.  I had to force down the entire 5 gallons because nobody else would drink it.

Which brings about a valuable lesson for the newbie: don't be afraid to dump a batch if it sucks! Just gives you another reason to brew more beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 07:47:47 AM »
Charlie wrote an interesting, kind of retrospective article for the latest Zymurgy about the first addition, including one of the recipes. After the recipe he says - well, it was the best advice at the time.

I imagine Joy sells well because it has the reputation as THE beginning homebrewing book. Once you want to move beyond that, How To Brew is one of many options.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 09:00:35 AM »

I'm pretty sure we brewed this one.  Isn't one of the additions a stick of licorice?  I don't recall drinking much of it, but I'm sure my brew partner at the time took most of it.

I brewed a whole lot of those recipes.  Toad Spit Stout was the first one.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 09:09:53 AM »

Which brings about a valuable lesson for the newbie: don't be afraid to dump a batch if it sucks! Just gives you another reason to brew more beer.

The other valuable lesson is to think about what you're putting in your beer and if it will really be as good as you think it sounds....

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 09:18:47 AM »
Haha. I've had some beers that turned out poorly IMO. It's a big lesson when you have to drink the whole thing yourself. Found myself actually developing a taste for several bad batches but was glad to see the kegs kick.

I'd say don't make 10 gallons of something that you have no idea how it will turn out. Or have unrealistic expectations. Better to make a small pilot batch first with an untried recipe and unfamiliar ingredients or grain combinations.

"Cherries in the Snow" is the beer I wanted to brew and never have. I didn't see the recipe in the latest edition. Anyone have it?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline el_capitan

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 09:43:26 AM »

I've heard good things about the Toad Spit Stout.  I'll give that one a shot when I'm feeling stouty again. 

The guy who taught me to brew gave me his original copy of CJOHB, and it has cool margin notes too.  He's a big fan of the Ricky Racoon's Honey Lager. 

I especially like looking at the photos of 70's era homebrewers bottling beer in the kitchen.  Now I'm going to have to go track down my copy for old times' sake  ;D

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 09:49:28 AM »
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=11836.0

Some guy named Euge appears to have asked for and received the recipe in this link...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 10:19:22 AM »

I've heard good things about the Toad Spit Stout.  I'll give that one a shot when I'm feeling stouty again. 

The guy who taught me to brew gave me his original copy of CJOHB, and it has cool margin notes too.  He's a big fan of the Ricky Racoon's Honey Lager. 

I especially like looking at the photos of 70's era homebrewers bottling beer in the kitchen.  Now I'm going to have to go track down my copy for old times' sake  ;D

The Toad Spit recipes calls for an ungodly amount of gypsum.  Something like 4 Tbsp., which we now know is counterproductive for a dark beer.  I once asked Charlie if he'd eliminate it if he was doing the recipe today.  He told me that he probably would, but OTOH thousands of people (including me!) have brewed that recipe the way it us and loved it, so he wasn't taking it out at this point.

www.dennybrew.com