Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: excited newbie  (Read 7119 times)

Offline blazer7

• 1st Kit
excited newbie
« on: February 18, 2014, 01:22:07 pm »
Just wanted to say I've just received my first batch for a home brew.  I bought an Oatmeal Stout and I'm stoked about starting.  This is something I've wanted to do for quite sometime and would love to move into the full all grain brewing, but.... baby steps.  I plan on doing quite a few malt extracts and keeping good notes to see how things go.  Just wanted to say hello and I hope to soon show off my first batch here. 

cheers  ;D

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: excited newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 01:23:26 pm »
Hi and welcome!  A lot of very friendly, very experienced brewers here, as well as a lot of new brewers like you.  If you need anything, just ask!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 01:24:11 pm »
Hey,welcome !  Anything we can do to help, don't hesitate to ask. Cheers !
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 01:25:46 pm »
What these guys said. Welcome!

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 01:42:37 pm »
Welcome! And congratulations on the beginning of a fun brewing journey! I was almost a year into brewing before I got an AHA membership. This was the best piece of equipment that I've purchased. Like mentioned above, there are all kinds of knowledgeable people of all sorts! And as Denny said, they are super awesome people that are always here to help. Cheers!
Frank

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 01:48:12 pm »
Indeed, welcome. I remember that excitement when you get all your gear and ingredients together for that first batch. I also remember the anxiety. But you know what? that first batch turned out great! (it didn't turn out great, it was maybe middle of the road) and I have never had a batch that was less than stellar since (I have had several bad batches and many mediocre ones).

It'll be amazing beer because you made it!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 02:04:12 pm »
Welcome!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 02:09:38 pm »
Welcome!

My first homebrew was horrible so you're probably light years ahead of me.  I didn't have this resource when I started and even gave up for a couple years before starting up again, now I can't stop!!

Congrats on your first brew and I look forward to seeing you post here in the forum!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 02:29:24 pm »
Welcome. We all started with our first batch. We all remember how great it was! We all still have a lot of questions, some of us have more answers now than we used to.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline blazer7

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 02:57:53 pm »
Wow Thanks everyone for the welcomes!!  I'm glad to be here and hope to chat and share stories with everyone!  I need to get my fermenters this week and when I do..... look out. 

Thanks again everyone and I'm sure I'll have tons of questions and eventually be able to answer some as well

Salud!

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 03:00:51 pm »
Wow Thanks everyone for the welcomes!!  I'm glad to be here and hope to chat and share stories with everyone!  I need to get my fermenters this week and when I do..... look out. 

Thanks again everyone and I'm sure I'll have tons of questions and eventually be able to answer some as well

Salud!

Well... since you haven't bought them yet, I'd recommend going plastic whether they are carboys or buckets. I think many will agree. Somebody just posted a lovely story about breaking a couple glass carboys at the end of brew day. Very dangerous!
Frank

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 03:46:53 pm »
Welcome. We all started with our first batch.

I actually started with my fourth.  It's how I got my batch count up so fast!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 05:25:34 pm »
Thinking back to the first batch - fear, trepidation, anticipation, celebration!!!!  Be clean and cool with your methods and you will be miles ahead of many other starters.  Welcome and brew on!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 05:30:27 pm »
Sanitation, Sanitation, Sanitation.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 05:41:34 pm »
Sanitation, Sanitation, Sanitation.

That was my first take away from Charlie P, and I hit it obsessively !  Everything else follows.
Jon H.