Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: excited newbie  (Read 7195 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: excited newbie
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 08:12:12 pm »
As a lifelong fan, the Cubs' bleacher bums have to quit accepting mediocrity (at best). For too long it's been ok because it's a great place to hang out and drink. You can hang out and drink while expecting your team to win. Fans in a city that big carry a lot of clout, just gotta wield it. 

BTW still waiting on the Wonder Kid Theo to start the rebuild.............
Jon H.

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 09:23:20 pm »
Welcome!  This forum is great...visit often!
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 09:31:03 pm »
Sanitation, Sanitation, Sanitation.

Actually

Fermentation first. Sanitation comes a close second.

As I see it fermentation is the yeasts job. As a brewer my job is create the conditions conducive to successful fermentation. The one constant in my process is sanitation.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 10:20:19 pm »
Good save on the epic derail

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 06:29:06 am »

Actually

As I see it fermentation is the yeasts job. As a brewer my job is create the conditions conducive to successful fermentation. The one constant in my process is sanitation.
I'd say sanitation first for two reasons. It's easy to master and bad sanitation can make beer undrinkable - worse than bad fermentation. But, you know - YMMV.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2014, 06:37:06 am »
Yeah, I am in a mixed marriage - I am a Sox fan and my wife is a Cubs fan, here in IL.  Neither is looking good,

That's because you are a fan of the wrong Sox!  ;D

The Cubs are always my team in the NL and for the WS if the Red Sox are out...we know the pain they are going through.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 06:45:06 am »
I just wonder how many "extract beers sux" opinions exist because they quit making them way before they figured out all the other aspects.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 06:46:41 am »
I just wonder how many "extract beers sux" opinions exist because they quit making them way before they figured out all the other aspects.
YES!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 06:51:56 am »
I'm late to the party.  Welcome.  I'm sure once you brew that first batch you'll be hooked and then your issue will be finding the time to brew.  If I go more than a few weeks without brewing I "get the itch" lol.

As others have said sanitation in paramount.  Get yourself some Star-San and like the old lady in the hot sauce commercial... Put that s*** on everything.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 06:52:05 am »

Actually

I'd say sanitation first for two reasons. It's easy to master and bad sanitation can make beer undrinkable - worse than bad fermentation. But, you know - YMMV.

Completely disagree. You can get away with lax sanitation as long as you are clean. The yeast will outcompete most nasties. BD fermentation makes bad beer every time.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 08:09:52 am »

Actually

Completely disagree. You can get away with lax sanitation as long as you are clean. The yeast will outcompete most nasties. BD fermentation makes bad beer every time.

I don't disagree with you Major and there are many process errors that can lead to a "bad" fermentation.  My point is that for a newbie, if they are capaple of following a good basic recipe and process instruction that sanitation is a fundamental process to dial in as a priority. Learning this passtime with lax sanitation practices is a risky venture. We all tend to morph our process and equipment a lot in our first brews and there are plenty of opportunities to mess up.  Fermentation processes are nuanced and complicated for beginners, hell even for us seasoned brewers.  If "clean" works for you in your brewery that's great.  Personally I'm more comfortable doing my best to make sure that anything that comes into contact with my beer has been sanitized. In 19 years I've never had to dump a batch due to infection so I'm sticking with it. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:14:04 am by Pinski »
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2014, 08:32:29 am »

Actually

+ 1.100!!!!! sanitation to the level we need to worry about it is soo easy we all learned it in preschool, wash up after yourself! all we add in brewing is star san.

you can make great beer with questionable sanitation methods (you won't ALWAYS, but you can) but you can't make great beer without proper fermentation control
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2014, 08:39:09 am »

Actually

+ 1.100!!!!! sanitation to the level we need to worry about it is soo easy we all learned it in preschool, wash up after yourself! all we add in brewing is star san.

you can make great beer with questionable sanitation methods (you won't ALWAYS, but you can) but you can't make great beer without proper fermentation control
??? Seriously?  You must be a LOT cleaner than most of the preschoolers I know. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2014, 08:40:26 am »

Actually

??? Seriously?  You must be a LOT cleaner than most of the preschoolers I know.

didn't say we MASTERED it in preschool, just learned it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2014, 09:33:39 am »

But before that, Cleaning, Cleaning, Cleaning.  You can't sanitize what isn't clean.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell