Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Second hot break  (Read 2815 times)

Offline jimgraham

• 1st Kit
Second hot break
« on: February 18, 2014, 01:31:34 pm »
Brewed NB Plinian Legacy extract kit.  As instructed, at beginning of 90 minute boil, I added 4 lbs dry extract, and got a quick hot break, and proceeded.  As instructed, with 15 minutes left to boil, I added 6 lbs liquid malt extract.  At 0 minutes, pot was still foaming big time from the syrup addition.  I gave it another 15 minutes, but still not hot break, so I flamed out anyway, and proceeded following the kit's instructions.  Much solid material remained suspended in the wort.  OG was 1.050 vs. expected 1.070.  Should I have continued boiling until the hot break came?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Second hot break
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 01:45:06 pm »
how did you make sure all the extract disolved? it sounds to me like you maybe have undissolved DME.

hot break should settle out pretty quickly after the flame is out. if there is solid material floating on the surface it could well be DME that wasn't dissolved all the way.

When I brewed with extract I would turn off the flame, add the DME and whick the beeejeeesus out of it with a balloon whisk (is there anything they are not good for?) until it was all mostly disolved then turn the heat back on and keep whisking till it's all dissolved.

with LME it's even more important to turn off the heat and make sure it's all mixed in before applying heat again because it WILL sink to the bottom and scorch.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 01:48:34 pm »
+1 to undissolved DME knocking your OG down.  +1 as well to turning off the heat, dissolving thoroughly, then firing back up. I scorched one of my very first extract batches, so I've been there.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:57:29 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 02:11:17 pm »
I hope you didn't throw out the break with wort mixed in? If the wort wasn't mixed well that would have remained at the bottom of the pot. Otherwise if you just didn't mix the extract well the recipe will be ok. The reading is off but you can assume the SG from the extract amounts.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 03:52:03 pm »
Brewed NB Plinian Legacy extract kit.  As instructed, at beginning of 90 minute boil, I added 4 lbs dry extract, and got a quick hot break, and proceeded.  As instructed, with 15 minutes left to boil, I added 6 lbs liquid malt extract.  At 0 minutes, pot was still foaming big time from the syrup addition.  I gave it another 15 minutes, but still not hot break, so I flamed out anyway, and proceeded following the kit's instructions.  Much solid material remained suspended in the wort.  OG was 1.050 vs. expected 1.070.  Should I have continued boiling until the hot break came?

If you topped off with water and took the OG after that, it's pretty likely you didn't get the wort and water mixed well enough to get an accurate reading.  The wort, containing sugar, is heavier and sinks to the bottom of the kettle.  It's REALLY hard to get them thoroughly mixed before taking a reading.  As long as you use all the ingredients in the kit and end up with the specified volume, you WILL have the OG that was predicted. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 09:56:21 am »
Much solid material remained suspended in the wort.  OG was 1.050 vs. expected 1.070.  Should I have continued boiling until the hot break came?

I'm a little confused by "Much solid material remained suspended in the wort."  That sounds like the hot break.  If  the wort looked like egg-drop soup then you got hot break.

Offline ppbrewclub

• 1st Kit
  • PPBC Est. Sept 2012
    • Facebook: Pleasant Prairie Brew Club
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 07:11:27 am »
I just noticed this too: >:(

"A yeast starter and 2-stage fermentation is highly recommended for this beer."

I've never done a yeast starter and have already pitched the wyeast 1056.  Should I do something else?  It is actively fermenting now.
OG: 1.071 which I was happy to see
Drink your own beer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 08:14:50 am »
If it's fermenting then you don't need to do anything else. The yeast have accepted your offer and decided to make beer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline ppbrewclub

• 1st Kit
  • PPBC Est. Sept 2012
    • Facebook: Pleasant Prairie Brew Club
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 09:52:41 am »
When they say "two-stage fermentation" do they just mean primary and secondary fermentation.  This is likely because of the late hop additions right?   
Drink your own beer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 10:02:47 am »
When they say "two-stage fermentation" do they just mean primary and secondary fermentation.  This is likely because of the late hop additions right?   

that's probably what they mean. it's either because of dry hopping or because that's just what kits tell you to do.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce