Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaning and rinsing bottles  (Read 1360 times)

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
Cleaning and rinsing bottles
« on: February 18, 2014, 10:16:04 pm »
I have chlorine\chloramine in my tap water and I bottle. I normally clean with bbrite, rinse with tap water, and then sanitize with star san. Could the rinse water be affecting my beer? Should I be rinsing ro or spring water?
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Cleaning and rinsing bottles
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 06:07:56 am »
I rinse with hot tap water. Then the final step is the Star San, which is made with RO water.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 06:23:23 am »
It won't hurt to rinse with RO/spring or make your star san with it (the star san will last longer too). But unless you have a LOT of chlorine, I doubt enough remains in the bottle assuming they're well drained.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 08:15:27 am »
I've never worried about a quick rinse with tap water.  Sometimes I'm going straight from idophor to bottling and I give the bottles a quick rinse on the bottle washer.  I've never noticed an issue.

I'm more concerned about an over concentration of idophor in the bottle than I am a little bit of tap water.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 08:00:36 am »
I rinse (clean) mine really well once they have been emptied and store upside down so that dust doesn't fall in. Come bottling day they go into the dishwasher straight out of storage. Mine has a sanitization cycle. I bottle with the door down to catch drips and just pull bottles out as I fill them... So no probs with sanitizer remaining in the bottles.

If a bottle is visibly gunked up and I just can't seem to get it clean without much effort then it goes in the trash. Plenty more soldiers ready to step in!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis