Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carboy Disaster  (Read 5370 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Carboy Disaster
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 04:44:31 pm »
My buddy broke a carboy awhile ago and sliced his hand open...now I have his 7 carboys and only use them occasionally like my blueberry wine and my first sour.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 04:53:53 pm »
I am wondering if it has something to do with the way the glass is made now days. You hear stories of Pyrex exploding because the new formula is different then years ago. Wondering if the same could be said for carboys?

I wonder this too. I went close to 15 years never breaking one, and within 2 or 3 years broke two, neither of which was dropped or hit with something. I didn't notice a crack in either, although I'm assuming there had to be very small cracks in both cases. No wort over 68F max ever went into either, usually cooler. When one of those things break apart, you stand there in shock looking at the huge mess before you realize you're bleeding everywhere. Not worth it for me.

Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 05:05:42 pm »
I am wondering if it has something to do with the way the glass is made now days. You hear stories of Pyrex exploding because the new formula is different then years ago. Wondering if the same could be said for carboys?

I wonder this too. I went close to 15 years never breaking one, and within 2 or 3 years broke two, neither of which was dropped or hit with something. I didn't notice a crack in either, although I'm assuming there had to be very small cracks in both cases. No wort over 68F max ever went into either, usually cooler. When one of those things break apart, you stand there in shock looking at the huge mess before you realize you're bleeding everywhere. Not worth it for me.

Well, I broke mine at least 12 years ago, maybe 14, so I don't think it's anything new.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 05:43:13 pm »
I wonder how many we don't hear about because their widow doesn't know his forum password?

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 05:52:28 pm »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 06:15:34 pm »
Ive heard that the mexican carboys are a poorer quality then the italian made counterparts, i wonder if this could have something to do with it?
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 06:20:41 pm »
I am glad you made out with minor injuries. Wish it was unscathed!

(steps up on box with thumbs hooked in suspenders)

Looking back just can't believe that I used to pick up a full slippery glass carboy and shake the sh!t out of it. And you can bet I had a few too while brewing...

And an accident is always a freak occurrence. Not like something you expect or can respond to or control in any way. When dealing with a glass carboy there is the option not to use them. Choosing otherwise, that's the decision that forks a person off from a path of safety onto a road to injury. :(
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 06:45:30 pm »
I also wear gloves when shaking quart jars (like yeast rinsing)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 06:58:00 pm »
Dang, that is a terrible way to end a brew day. Glad your OK? Sounds like you didn't make it unscathed.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 07:37:12 pm »
The last carboy I broke (years ago) was on the vinyl floor in my basement. I was running to catch the phone, slipped and slid into it gashing my leg fairly deeply, but ultimately not anythings serious. But it COULD have been an artery.

And then I started thinking "what if one of my kids comes running down here and falls into one hands first"...

Really dangerous and fragile things. Keep them put away safe or, better yet, don't use them. U actually rarely use them but coincidentally put 5 gallons of beer in a carboy just last week for the first time in a while. But I was very mindful of handling and storing.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 07:47:55 pm »
I cracked one in 20 years (recently) if you discount the one that broke in storage somehow.

It was having the kids nearby when or cracked that ended it for me.

There are too many affordable plastic solutions to take the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline phytenphyre

• 1st Kit
  • Noblesville, IN
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 06:41:02 am »
Wowser, looks like I going to buy some better bottles or buckets...or something.  I have to 2 glass carboys, I don't need a trip to the ER.
"Have no fear, it's just beer."
Chitty Black IPA
Oh My IPA
Handle Bar Mustache Stout
Founders Breakfast Stout clone
Next up: Rye IPA
Re-do: a ruined Zombie Dust clone

Offline epic1856

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 10:36:27 am »
I sold all but 1 carboy about a month ago.

This Happened,

Resulted in This;

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 10:41:15 am »
Really sorry to see that. I got 12 stitches after breaking a carboy, so I sympathize. Glad it wasn't worse. FWIW plastic works just fine, I use it exlusively now. Wish ya better luck !
Jon H.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 10:58:01 am »
I'm glad you're OK. I had a similar incident last summer. The only difference was the carboy I was moving was empty and fell on a full carboy. It occurred in the garage so cleanup wasn't terrible. I have since started using more buckets and better bottles for primary.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk