Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Starting with RO Water and adjusting from there  (Read 6947 times)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: Starting with RO Water and adjusting from there
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 08:14:47 am »
I did buy a place recently that has a well that hasn't been used in 20 years.  I'm going to look into a system with some type of sizable storage tank for the RO.  Is it possible to send the waste back through the membrane?  There has to be a way to use the waste water I'm sure.   
Jeff B

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 08:25:18 am »
Hopefully Martin or Carl (where the heck is carl anyway?) will respond with better info but I believe that alot of the systems have like a 90% rejection rate. so it takes 10 gallons to make 1 gallon. now, that water doesn't just disapear and I imagine it can go lots of places. it's only 10% more hard than it was when it came in so you can use it for lot's of things I would think, depending on how hard it is to start. watering plants if nothing else.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 08:58:19 am »
There are methods of adding the waste back to the cold water supply of the house. I have also seen people plumb the waste into a cistern or rain barrel system. Pretty sure both options would require pump.