Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cheap and easy fermentation chamber. Heats, soon will cool.  (Read 4846 times)

Offline Howhownow

• 1st Kit
Cheap and easy fermentation chamber. Heats, soon will cool.
« on: February 27, 2014, 01:06:10 pm »
First off- I am an almost constant AHA and HBT forum consumer, but have never posted before. I wanted to share the build I just did for what is now a fermentation chamber with controlled heat, but will eventually be upgraded to cool as well for lagering and summer fermentation. Built for around $61, with only a razor, scissors, a screwdriver, and some wire strippers (and of course, duct tape). I have a couple before/afters, and maybe enough throughout the process to build a walkthrough if folks are interested.
Apologies for the fuzzy pictures- it was dark and the reflective insulation was shooting back the flash.

The heat is controlled by a standard light dimmer, and the heating element is a mat for sprouting seedlings that I picked up at my LHBS that also happens to be an organic/hydroponic gardening center.

There is still some insulation that needs to be attached on the lower sides and lid, but it is mostly there.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:14:05 am by Howhownow »

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Cheap and easy fermentation chamber. Heats, soon will cool.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 01:16:29 pm »
Looks good. And sprouting mat - good idea for a heat source.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline lbrewski

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 06:50:46 pm »
Interesting, looking forward to hearing about your method to cool it - here in SoCal I seldom need to warm it up.

Offline Howhownow

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 10:03:44 pm »
Plan for cold is first to finish totally insulating the interior and lid. Then add a reinforced, insulated wall in the open space on the right (probably run two sets of dowels through the side walls to hold it up). I have a temp controller on order as of today, and I'll run that to a computer fan in the interior wall. Then I just have to come up with a good way to hold ice in the space, and the fan will blow cold air in on the carboys when they need it.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 08:45:03 am »
Looks good. What size tub is that? It almost looks like you could fit 3 full size carboys in there.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 10:04:44 am »
Plan for cold is first to finish totally insulating the interior and lid. Then add a reinforced, insulated wall in the open space on the right (probably run two sets of dowels through the side walls to hold it up). I have a temp controller on order as of today, and I'll run that to a computer fan in the interior wall. Then I just have to come up with a good way to hold ice in the space, and the fan will blow cold air in on the carboys when they need it.
Look up 'Son of a Fermentation Chiller'. Cheap and similar, I think you could use some of the ideas.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958