Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adding gelatin to an oaked beer  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Adding gelatin to an oaked beer
« on: February 20, 2014, 10:12:05 am »
So im trying to figure out when i should add gelatin to a stout in secondary that has oak chips and vanilla beans in it.  Id like to add it today with all the stuff in it so it clears out to bottle on saturday.  Anyone have any recommendations for or against this plan?  Cold Crashing is not an option atm.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Adding gelatin to an oaked beer
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 11:58:04 am »
So im trying to figure out when i should add gelatin to a stout in secondary that has oak chips and vanilla beans in it.  Id like to add it today with all the stuff in it so it clears out to bottle on saturday.  Anyone have any recommendations for or against this plan?  Cold Crashing is not an option atm.

If its not cold, then I don't think the gelatin is going to work...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 12:05:43 pm »
+1.  It won't, or at least not near as well.
Jon H.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 04:43:09 am »
Even if you can't get it to 34F, the gelatin will help you if you can get it into the 50's (think jello in a fridge - it works better colder, but works at 50F eventually).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 11:37:50 am »
Even if you can't get it to 34F, the gelatin will help you if you can get it into the 50's (think jello in a fridge - it works better colder, but works at 50F eventually).

I agree.  Cold works best, obvously, but I've had it work pretty well at ambient cellar temps as well (60°F).  Since I don't serve my beers ice cold, clarity is not an issue.   
The gelatin will settle the yeast out effectively even if the the beer is not cold.
However, depending on the recipe and other procedures, it can still develop  chill haze if stored and served cold.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 11:54:01 am »
I agree, as well, that gelatin will work at cellar temps.  It has for me, though my cellar temp is closer to 50 than 60.

Bottling on Saturday though would have me concerned.  IME, you'll need more time for it to clear if the beer is not cold.  It will be better than nothing, but not as clear as you might like.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton