Author Topic: my first logger ?s  (Read 1163 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: my first logger ?s
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 09:19:28 AM »
Thanks for replies. So yeast starter temp does not have to be same as wort temp at pitching. I will try to keep ferment temp from dropping, will also consider 2112.

The best thing is to take the starter out of the fridge, decant and pitch immediately.  Colder yeast into warmer wort works great, but not the other way around.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline rodmanxxx

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 09:22:01 AM »
Now there is a good idea, just use a gallon jug, that makes the starter easier, thanks!
Ya, I am a gluton for punishment. Actually I just want to do the decoction mash so I can say I did it, to me it is fun not punishment. I got nothing better to do... But ya if I feel lazy on Sunday I will just do the single rest.
It's all fun and games until somebody loses a liver.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 09:23:32 AM »
Now there is a good idea, just use a gallon jug, that makes the starter easier, thanks!
Ya, I am a gluton for punishment. Actually I just want to do the decoction mash so I can say I did it, to me it is fun not punishment. I got nothing better to do... But ya if I feel lazy on Sunday I will just do the single rest.

But how are you going to do it with the grains in the bag?  And if you;re going to do it, do yourself a favor and rethink the steps you;re using.  No point in doing all that work to end up with a subpar beer.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline rodmanxxx

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 09:28:04 AM »
Ok I guess ya'all convinced me, I'll just do the single rest. My plan was to drain the required amounts of wort into a 2nd pot for boiling each step of the decoct, but I'll just scrap that. Good advice on the starter too.
Thanks for all the help.

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 09:32:11 AM »
If you haven't bought the yeast yet, maybe try 2112. I use it at 55° for American Lager, Vienna Lager, and Oktoberfest. Others will poopoo that, but I've been quite pleased.

I won't be one of them. 
got an NHC medal last year with 2112 in a dark lager.  It's a great yeast.

Offline rodmanxxx

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 09:37:39 AM »
That does look like a good yeast, but I would probably have to wait a few more weeks to be able to ferment at that temp in the garage. It's still near freezing temp here overnight. But thanks, I will keep that in mind, or maybe even brew something else this wknd & do the lager in a few weeks, hmmmm

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 09:50:59 AM »
Ok I guess ya'all convinced me, I'll just do the single rest. My plan was to drain the required amounts of wort into a 2nd pot for boiling each step of the decoct, but I'll just scrap that. Good advice on the starter too.
Thanks for all the help.

when doing a decoction you want thick mash not liquid. you would have to scoop the grain out of your bag into your second kettle for boiling and then return it to the bag.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline rodmanxxx

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 10:16:08 AM »
Yikes, sounds like I had that backwards, I thought you decoct the liquid, boil it, then add it back to the mash. That would have been interesting. I'll just do the single mash rest then, thanks!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 10:16:23 AM »
Thanks for all the help.

Smart move!

You only boil the wort on the final step of a multo step decoction.  If you boil it earlier, you'll denature the enzymes.  They're mainly in the liquid, not the grain.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 10:46:01 AM »
There's just no need to do a step mash or a decoction unless you really feel like punishing yourself for some reason. A single rest at 150 for 45-60 minutes is all you need! I like to raise up to 158 for 10-20 minutes because it helps improve efficiency and gives better body IMO, but for heaven's sake unless you feel like punishing yourself for no reason skip the decoction.

+1

Unless you're doing it as a practical exercize, to experience the process, in an effort to broaden your experience with mash techniques, the decoction mash will not make your beer any better than a single infusion mash would do for the beer. At least you won't notice the potential nuance of flavor between the two methods, AND as Keith has mentioned it will save you a significant amount of time and effort.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:36:22 AM by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline rodmanxxx

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 11:06:38 AM »
Ya I just wanted to try something different, but it looks like I had it all wrong anyways, so I'll just go with what I know for now, & try to learn decoction some other day.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 12:10:03 PM »
Done several decoctions in my time. Yeah, if you have all day it is not bad. But I've permanently given them up now in favor of the Hochkurz mash. Kai's page is awesome. Check it out here:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Infusion_Mashing
Cowboy. Pirate. Brewer.

Offline blatz

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 12:15:18 PM »
Done several decoctions in my time. Yeah, if you have all day it is not bad. But I've permanently given them up now in favor of the Hochkurz mash. Kai's page is awesome. Check it out here:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Infusion_Mashing

agreed.  i started doing hockhurz step mashes when i switched to my new system and I really like them.  i've done only a couple of decoctions over the past 9 years, and i can't say they were worth it or produced dramatically different/better beer. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline rodmanxxx

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 12:27:48 PM »
Thanks for the info & link, got it bookmarked

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2014, 05:04:13 AM »
FWIW, I did one decoction recently and I will be sampling that beer tonight.  I doubt that I will decoct again - it was slow and a pain in the wrist.  The Hochkurz is simple enough if you can apply direct heat (otherwise you just have to do a second infusion of hot water after resting in the mid 140's for 40 minutes or so.). I can fire mine up, so no water adds are necessary and it really is just a matter of heating it up to 154 or so after the initial rest.  Frankly, my first Hochkurz was just a matter of missing the first strike temp due to very cold grain, then noticing later that I was a touch low, then heating it up to finish the mash.

The single infusion mash serves me well enough.  I may do another decoction (if I have a friend who wants to stir mash for a few hours and I want to enjoy the show...)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"