Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pretty sure I like flat AIPA  (Read 4410 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Pretty sure I like flat AIPA
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 11:33:46 am »
+1 to lightly carbed IPAs. I prefer mine carbed to ~ English bitter levels (or many beers for that matter, with obviously Belgian styles, hefeweizen excluded).  I tried a couple commercial examples recently that were excellent otherwise, but way overcarbonated for my tastes.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 12:18:35 pm »
I think you guys aren't pouring hard enough. I'm not a huge fan of excess fizz in my hoppy brews, but that carbonation does a world of good when it comes to releasing hop aroma. I just pour it extra hard to kick out the extra carbonation.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 12:36:11 pm »
I think you guys aren't pouring hard enough. I'm not a huge fan of excess fizz in my hoppy brews, but that carbonation does a world of good when it comes to releasing hop aroma. I just pour it extra hard to kick out the extra carbonation.

I do pour pretty hard , to release aromas (part of what it's all about for me with IPA) and get a nice head, but the 2 examples I mentioned were Belgian-like in their carbonation, even after doing that.
Jon H.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 02:28:57 pm »

Thanks for the experience Mugwort!

;D.  You saying that made me realize that perhaps it is the raw hop FLAVOR that I like in a fresh and undercarbed ipa.

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 02:52:33 pm »

Agreed.  I usually keep a lower carb level in my ipa keg, but dispense it after a CO2 feed so that it comes galloping out, leaving a creamy head sitting on top.  Lovely.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 04:55:01 pm »
Is there a way to maintain different carbonation levels in only certain kegs or do I have to get a whole new regulator? 
Is there another way to do it?

I definitely think you can charge up selectively your dispensing kegs to maintain your desired carb levels.

I could never find the last leak in my system with its hundred points of contact and I got really tired of finding my tank empty.  Two regulators each with gas lines split to each fridge, always connected and valve-open to 9+ kegs seemed more hassle than it was worth.

Finally I just shut off the gas and let the existing pressure dispense my pours.  When a line began to slow or carbonation began to lesson I would open the valve for an appropriate charge.

This sanity and money saving change came with a surprise benefit.  I began to experience different beers styles through different carbonation levels and just as importantly, the same beer at different carbonation levels.

You get a keen sense of how much and how often you need to carb up for what it is you're after in each beer.

+1 This is how I do it and have learned to maintain what I like. I can change it up too as the beer matures in the kegerator. Flatter beer isn't necessarily a bad thing. I drink it closer to style by my sheer laziness as I was bought up american-style with briskly effervescent lager beer.
hmm, thanks.  I will look into that in-line regulator.
I might not mind the hit and miss thing either...if you turn off the gas, will the beer eventually loose all CO2 and go flat?

yeah, eventually but it'll just stop pouring first. when that happens pop the valve open for a second and then close it again. or pop the QD back on for second.

Another +1. The beer won't go flat it will just reach an equilibrium. So if the beer is overcarbed I vent the keg until I get a pour force sufficient to fill a glass of beer without it being overly foamy. After a couple+ glasses depending I might just leave it (keg) until the next day to draw some of the co2 out.

I must remember when the beer is where I like it to charge it up after pouring several beers. And all this depends how much beer is in the keg, but if you keep up with a high use beer it pours however you want just fine IMO.

Hop bitterness on acid bitter mmmm. :-\

I feel the same way but never thought about the aroma- maybe because can't smell that well.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis