Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxidation Flavors  (Read 1736 times)

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
Oxidation Flavors
« on: April 02, 2010, 03:02:33 pm »
We are all familiar with the various off flavors caused by oxidation.  Wet cardboard, vinous, sherry like... 
My question is:  What flavors are caused when?  Or are they just different levels of the same.?  Dr. Charles Bamforth suggests that oxidation (aeration) during the mash and what we homebrewers call HSA (splashing the >100 deg wort after the boil), effects are negligible if followed by a vigorous fermentation.  What say the beer geeks?

Dave
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Oxidation Flavors
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 03:17:08 pm »
I'd have to say that I've never experienced any oxidative effects that could be tied to the way I beat up my mash.  I'm not as smart as Dr. Bamforth, so if he says that it's because of fermentation, I'll accept that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline seajellie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 07:46:14 am »
Can't help with the flavors of oxidation timetable, but this novice agrees with the Dr. and Denny; I've done things that must've put a ton of oxygen into my wort, at temps both above and below 100 degrees.

Never had an oxidation problem that I or friends could detect after fermentation, even with beers aged a year or more at cellar temps.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:50:19 am by seajellie »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 08:52:36 am »
Ray Daniels pointed out at the last NHC, that a honey aroma in European Pils and lagers is oxidation.

Making Better Beer II file in this link-
http://www.ahaconference.com/speakerspresentation_2009.html

The sherry flavors are oxidized melanoidins.  Some information here.
http://www.professorbeer.com/articles/oxidative_staling_beer.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!