Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: aging of high gravity beers  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
aging of high gravity beers
« on: February 25, 2014, 04:41:25 pm »
Planning on doing a test batch for a Christmas Ale that I plan to give out as gifts this year. I rarely do higher gravity beers...

This one is calculating out to have an OG of 1.077 and end up around 8.2% ABV. I guess this may be the lower end of 'high gravity' but I was wondering how long I should let this condition in bottles before it will be best to drink.

I assume it would need at least a couple of months. Any input?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: aging of high gravity beers
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 04:42:32 pm »
couple months would be good. if you do it right it should be drinkable right away but it will still be good, maybe even better after a few months, years.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 04:52:17 pm »
Thanks Mort. I am going with 50% Munich along with 50-55 IBUs to balance and provide some hop character. Also planning on some spices and orange zest. It could need some extra time for everything to come together...

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 05:01:17 pm »
Thanks Mort. I am going with 50% Munich along with 50-55 IBUs to balance and provide some hop character. Also planning on some spices and orange zest. It could need some extra time for everything to come together...

sounds tasty.

let it ride till near christmas (if you manage to make it that long without tasting at least one you have WAY more self control than I ;D)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 05:09:37 pm »

sounds tasty.

let it ride till near christmas (if you manage to make it that long without tasting at least one you have WAY more self control than I ;D)

Haha...yeah I plan on drinking this first batch to see what adjustments would be needed. I am bad about waiting until beers are actually 'ready' and taste often during the conditioning process. I plan to do a small batches throughout the year. I think I will be good to go If I can finish the last batch by the end of October and maybe just tell people to age it for a bit longer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 06:07:09 pm »
Man, it's tough. I'm always really excited when a high gravity beer is really good fairly young( 2 or 3 months), sometimes a little too excited. It's a nice payoff to have several bottles hit their intended flavor peak. I'm not too proud to admit that the ones I've aged the longest were ones I found that I thought were gone. A 3 year old quad comes to mind that was unreal. Good luck !
Jon H.