Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: ISO Old Ale recipe (all grain)  (Read 1625 times)

Offline MIBeerGuy

• 1st Kit
  • Michigan Beer Guy
    • Michigan Beer Guy Blog
ISO Old Ale recipe (all grain)
« on: February 20, 2014, 04:39:19 pm »
Looking for a decent Old Ale recipe, preferably all-grain with an ABV between 6-9%.  I'm brewing 5 gallon batches using a 5 gallon Igloo mash tun and am hoping to find something that won't require extended aging time (more than 2 months).  I'm a newbie on the boards, thanks in advance for assistance.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: ISO Old Ale recipe (all grain)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 04:53:40 pm »
I brewed one that was just 10L munich malt that took a third place in a local contest. I think I bittered with Belgian goldings to mid style guideline. Maybe hit it with some Lyles golden syrup?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 05:54:53 pm »
Looking for a decent Old Ale recipe, preferably all-grain with an ABV between 6-9%.  I'm brewing 5 gallon batches using a 5 gallon Igloo mash tun and am hoping to find something that won't require extended aging time (more than 2 months).  I'm a newbie on the boards, thanks in advance for assistance.

You might find something on the recipe wiki:  http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/19AOldAle

Ralph R.

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 01:23:56 pm »
I have a recipe that won 1st in a comp last year after only 3 months of aging. The problem is there were some grains and hops you can't always find. It requires optic and ESB malt along with UK Phoenix hops. It also used a ton of wet Chinook, but those could be subbed with pellets. Even the yeast is only available from one place (Wyeast 1945). If you can source all those, I can post the recipe or add it to the Wiki.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 10:23:18 pm »
I'd recommend grabbing some of the Yorkshire Square yeast while its available. Got an Old Peculier recipe going right now, but this is my first time brewing it so I can't vouch for the recipe yet.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer