Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Prime Dose for bottling  (Read 7332 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Prime Dose for bottling
« on: February 21, 2014, 04:39:56 am »
Has anyone tried this product?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/prime-dose-carbonation-tablets-200-count.html

I am using it on a blended, Oaked Flanders Red for a competition in advance of the NHC deadline....I thought I would try it, since it has some yeast in it and I didn't want to rely on the Brett in a Roselaere blend to finish in time.  I bottled last Sunday (2-16)  for submission by next Friday (2-28) and judging on 3-8.  Trying to find a warm spot in my house, without much success....hoping for the best.

Any insights would be appreciated.  BTW the flat beer was fantastic (for a flat beer - wine like, if you know what I mean).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Prime Dose for bottling
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 10:04:51 am »
I have not.  But I have found all of the other options for priming bottles directly (carb tabs, carb drops, whatever) to be lacking.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 11:01:05 am »
I'm trying to figure out what it is. You say it has yeast and sugar, which would be neat, but the info on that page is vague and stuffed full of marketing keywords and puns.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 11:58:00 am »
I'm trying to figure out what it is. You say it has yeast and sugar, which would be neat, but the info on that page is vague and stuffed full of marketing keywords and puns.

+1 - It implies that there might be yeast in there, but it never mentions what the ingredients are. My guess is that it contains something like DAP or yeast nutrient instead of actual yeast. And DAP is something I'd never want to add to finished beer. Smells/tastes like ammonia or pee. I'm pretty leery of adding something to my beer if I don't know exactly what it is. I've never really had an issue with my yeast being able to carb a beer, even on big Belgians that spent 3 months in primary before bottling.

And, FWIW, the Coopers carb drops (the ones that look like a ball of sugar candy) have always worked exactly the way I've wanted them to. I use them for all my 1-gallon pilot batches.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 12:35:13 pm »
It is specifically a bottling product, so I don't think yeast nutrient has anything to do with it, but I could be wrong.

I used it on a Flanders red blended - after 8 months of aging: 1/4th from an oak barrel and 3/4ths from a glass carboy of the same batch - ABV around 7%; Roselaere blend yeast, so Brett still working slowly.  I tried it since it had some yeast referenced as an ingredient and I was going to re-yeast with US-05, but this sounded easier for bottling a gallon while the rest continues to age in situ.

I intend to try a Solara style of aging and blending, so I will make a much smaller ABV batch for blending going forward.  I might try an all Brett batch, for example, if I can keep it warm enough.

I was hoping that this product would allow me to easily draw off smallish samples to blend and bottle - then carb with it.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 12:35:59 pm »
And, FWIW, the Coopers carb drops (the ones that look like a ball of sugar candy) have always worked exactly the way I've wanted them to. I use them for all my 1-gallon pilot batches.

I've found them to over-carbonate in the recommended dosage.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 05:04:10 pm »
That capsule is gelatin based? Wonder if it clears up a beer?

I used to use a nutrient that was uric acid and DAP in the last 15 of the boil and it works well. Adding that smelly stuff to the bottling bucket doesn't appeal to me at all. As the devil's advocate: perhaps the pills have so little in them it doesn't affect the taste.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 07:21:10 am »
I read a much better description in the Northern Brewer catalog this morning. It is priming sugar and dry yeast packaged in a vegan friendly capsule (so it's not gelatin).
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 09:21:31 am »
I don't have any experience with that product but before using it I would want to know the ph tolerance of the yeast in the capsule. Your sour beer might be too sour for the yeast they include in the capsule. I'd also be concerned about how many volumes of carbonation it will produce.

For my sour beers I add priming sugar to the desired carbonation and add some wine yeast. If I have dry wine yeast on hand then I just add a very small amount to each bottle. If I only have slurry on hand then I add the slurry in the bottling bucket as the beer is getting racked in so it mixes well.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 12:40:29 pm »
I just saw these in the latest Northern brewer catalog. I can see myself using them but only for beers that have extended lagering periods. That being said, i'd hate to find a capsule floatie or odd particulate in my doppelbock. I'm curious to hear of anyone's experience with these. I certainly don't mind doing a bit of math and mixing up some CBC-1 with my priming sugar, and it's cheaper; but the caps would certainly be easier. food for thought.
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 02:10:27 pm »
I certainly don't mind doing a bit of math and mixing up some CBC-1 with my priming sugar, and it's cheaper; but the caps would certainly be easier. food for thought.
I'd hope they were smart and used a bottle conditioning yeast like CBC-1, but it doesn't say.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 02:30:36 pm »
I like the idea, but wish they were a bit less expensive. Maybe the price will go down if they work well and are well received. For me using a sanitized tea spoon and funnel is worth the extra $0.20-$0.30 per beer savings.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 05:21:22 am »
I like the idea, but wish they were a bit less expensive. Maybe the price will go down if they work well and are well received. For me using a sanitized tea spoon and funnel is worth the extra $0.20-$0.30 per beer savings.

Agreed as to a whole batch, but pulling just a few bottles off for a competition allowed me a no brainier on mixing - 2 capsules in each bottle.  Hoping for the best....

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 06:59:47 am »
Why not just use sugar cubes...? Uniform, consistent and easily fit down the neck of a bottle.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 07:19:07 am »
I'd also be curious to see what the expiration dates run on this, being a yeast product. I can get about 4 batches out of one bottle since I do 2.5 gallon batches but I don't see any use in using this in the ales that I brew more often than lagers. Having said that, it would still be nice to be able to lager a beer for 3-6 months and toss in a couple of capsules and be done with it!
Corripe Cervisiam