Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Prime Dose for bottling  (Read 7298 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Prime Dose for bottling
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 07:30:11 am »
Why not just use sugar cubes...? Uniform, consistent and easily fit down the neck of a bottle.
They still sell those?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 07:55:46 am »
Why not just use sugar cubes...? Uniform, consistent and easily fit down the neck of a bottle.
They still sell those?
And have you used them?  I'd be curious what degree of carbonation they would give.  Dose per bottle and all that.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 08:27:39 am »
I have not used basic sugar cubes yet but there is a box in the cupboard. They are 2.5g of sugar each so 1-3 per bottle sounds about right.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 08:37:04 am »
I assume they are just sugar? No binders?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 08:42:45 am »
I buy the "Imperial Sugar" brand and the FDA statement is: Ingredient: Sugar.

Not sure if this brand is available everywhere but is fairly ubiquitous here. A step up from house label sugar.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 08:44:58 am »
sugar IS a binder right?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Stevie

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 09:01:15 am »
I like this sugar cube idea a lot. I haven't seen a sugar cube in years. Will they fit in a standard bottle opening?

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 09:03:13 am »
sugar IS a binder right?
Yeah I would think they are produced by slightly wetting granulated sugar, forming, and then drying.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 09:48:47 am »
They do fit.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 12:17:44 pm »
sugar IS a binder right?
Yeah I would think they are produced by slightly wetting granulated sugar, forming, and then drying.

Depending on how powdery the sugar is to start with, you probably don't need much/any moisture content. While lactose is far more common, sucrose can be used as a binder/bulking agent for tabletting pharmaceuticals. The pressure/heat from the die is generally enough to form a tablet on its own. Although for a sugar cube it may just be easier to heat the mold to melt the sugar partially to get it to stick.

I've heard the sugar cube idea discussed before and have been meaning to try it out myself. I think for my next batch of single-hopped brews I might try a side-by-side with the Coopers drops and sugar cubes for some of the brews.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline breslinp

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 04:41:17 pm »
I like this sugar cube idea a lot. I haven't seen a sugar cube in years. Will they fit in a standard bottle opening?

They fit most bottle openings. You should be able to get sugar cubes in a simple grocery store. Domino makes them. I use them when making an old fashioned, but have never tried them for bottle carbing. Can't be more than a few bucks for a box of hundreds.

Offline vinnieb

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 06:48:01 pm »
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I didnt want to start a new one with the same title.  I used these prime dose caps in my last batch and the beer was bottled almost 2 months ago and has been sitting since.  I did not add priming sugar, because as I understood the vague directions, All I needed were these caps.  Well, so far 4 test 12oz bottles are all flatter than a carrier deck......and ideas?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 08:27:33 pm »
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I didnt want to start a new one with the same title.  I used these prime dose caps in my last batch and the beer was bottled almost 2 months ago and has been sitting since.  I did not add priming sugar, because as I understood the vague directions, All I needed were these caps.  Well, so far 4 test 12oz bottles are all flatter than a carrier deck......and ideas?

does it taste at all sweet? are you sure about the bottle seals? is it really really high gravity? and finally, what temp are you conditioning at?

If all else fails you can make up a known strength syrup and dose with X ml per bottle. just pop each top, add specified amount of syrup and recap. give a gentle turn to get everything mixed and put them somewhere as close to 75* f as you have available
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline vinnieb

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2014, 08:30:28 pm »
Its not sweet and I am very sure about the seals.  Not high gravity and stored at a constant 68f.  I was thinking about removing caps, and adding a bit of priming sugar and recapping.  Heck, I already blew up a keg, whats a few bottles!

Online ynotbrusum

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 05:03:47 am »
I tested a bottle last week and it was nicely carbed - Denny's RIPA.  Spoke with a rep at NB and he said it is sugar and CBC yeast.  It should work on all beers, so I am trying it out on a Barleywine and some more sours to see if they work in those situations.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"