Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermcap-AT  (Read 2825 times)

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
Fermcap-AT
« on: February 22, 2014, 10:39:01 am »
I would like to use a foam control, and I don't want to use Fermcap-S because of FDA regulations on filtering. I have heard that Fermcap-AT works well, but I have never used, haven't seen much information about it, and am having a hard time finding it.

The only homebrew source I have found is through a shop in Eugene called Falling Sky. Can anyone vouch for these guys? I will probably add a few ingredients, including yeast, if I do go through this homebrew shop.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
Re: Fermcap-AT
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 10:47:24 am »
Good store, good people.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 10:58:45 am »
Although I've pretty much stopped using Fermcap, when I do use it (mainly for starters) I use the AT.  I bought a qt. and still have most of it.

Falling Sky is a good homebrew shop.  I'm afraid I can't say that about their brewery.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 11:12:07 am »
I respectfully disagree with the brewery comment Denny. We've got a 65 mi.trip home after leaving Eugene and I really like having a nice selection of low gravity beers. Too many places up there have little available under 6.-6.5%. Maybe I'm just getting old. Maybe you're just getting cranky. ;)
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 12:53:04 pm »
I respectfully disagree with the brewery comment Denny. We've got a 65 mi.trip home after leaving Eugene and I really like having a nice selection of low gravity beers. Too many places up there have little available under 6.-6.5%. Maybe I'm just getting old. Maybe you're just getting cranky. ;)

Or maybe I'm getting tired of all the breweries around here that make uneven, mediocre beers.  I really wish I could enjoy their beers more, but they're so uneven that it makes me not want to spend my money there.  It's not about the ABV, it's about the quality.  They've made some pretty good beers, but it's very hit or miss, with too many misses for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 02:42:40 pm »
Ah, that I get. We only get up there every other month or so, so we really have no basis of comparison. I must say I have the same problem down here.

Open a brewery, then learn to brew. Weird, it would have never struck me that you could get away with that.
I'm always saying to our members....yah, that's good, but can you brew it again. They're off doing this that or the other without ever getting a foundation recipe down and then expanding from there. But hey! Their friends just love their beer.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 04:25:42 pm »

Open a brewery, then learn to brew. Weird, it would have never struck me that you could get away with that.
But hey! Their friends just love their beer.

+1.  Yeah, that amazes me too. That's a pretty sorry business plan. There's a place here in town that's run by that plan, as near as I can tell. The beer is (no kidding) like I remember from using prehopped cans of LME back in the day. Worst brewpub beer I've ever had. But hey, the guy's mom and dad bought him the place (according to him), so that must make him qualified.
Jon H.