Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The politics of homebrew?  (Read 1627 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
The politics of homebrew?
« on: February 22, 2014, 01:20:13 am »
Liberal- believes that batch sparging is best even if and you have to buy more grain, which is fine because he only has $7 invested in his equipment

Conservative- believes fly sparging is best because corporate breweries do it, plus at 99% efficiency you don't have to buy extra grain, which is good because he's making payments on a new false bottom.

Libertarian- believes that in a perfect brewery you should be able to sparge anyway you want to, or not even sparge at all. Oh, and it's not infected, its funky.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Re: The politics of homebrew?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 06:07:47 am »
 :) The P word makes people nervous here. But just poking fun at brewers....

Green - uses a single old pot that was acquired at a yard sale to avoid having to buy new plastic equipment.  Mashes in a fair trade organic cotton bag and sparges with a wooden ladle.  The bag has a few small holes, but it doesn’t matter because a few grains in the boil make it more natural.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 08:26:12 am »
I think both the liberal and conservative brewer would promise that they could brew a 10 gallon batch for $2 and could be grain to glass in 2 days.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 08:37:38 am »
I think both the liberal and conservative brewer would promise that they could brew a 10 gallon batch for $2 and could be grain to glass in 2 days.

.....and then spend all their time blocking the efforts of the other to achieve it. 
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 08:42:17 am »
I'm proud to be a Libertarian no-sparger. You can sparge however the hell you want, as long as I'm not footing the bill for your new brewery or subsidizing your grain.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 09:25:45 am »
I'm not a member of a club, but I imagine that club brews would go down like a Marxist society. You all bring a different ingredient, and we'll brew it here. Then I'll decide who gets to drink it, how much of it, and when.
Frank

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 10:02:58 am »
ha.  this is funny.
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing