Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Will it kill my truck? (now with pics)  (Read 10781 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: Will it kill my truck?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 07:47:21 pm »
  Thanks for the advice all. The trailer comes with sway bars. As for the weight of it, he said it is really light. As far as how light, I'm not sure. He told me "it does not weigh a ton". i'm not sure if he meant that literally, or figuratively. Think I'll look for that controller now. 
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 08:15:22 pm »
I had an older 24' Prowler & that thing weighed a ton!  6500 lbs.

Umm . . that's three and a half tons!   :D  ;)

Weaz,

Seriously, I pull a Haulmark 16 ft. dual axle closed trailer stuffed to the gills with pyro equipment with a '94 Olds Bravada that has the 4.3 Vortec. Admittedly, it does have the tranny cooler, but it'll pull the trailer just fine . . up to about 60 mph. I have found that more than the weight, the issue is drag off the rear of the trailer. The Bravada accelerates off the mark just fine, but when you get to about 60, it's like a parachute is deployed out the back from all the flat surface area. I guess what I'm saying is you will be able to pull the trailer , but just don't plan to break any speed records.

Oh . . and your fuel mileage WILL be crap! 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 08:23:17 pm by dhacker »
Just brew it...

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 05:48:21 am »
  Thanks for the advice all. The trailer comes with sway bars. As for the weight of it, he said it is really light. As far as how light, I'm not sure. He told me "it does not weigh a ton". i'm not sure if he meant that literally, or figuratively. Think I'll look for that controller now. 

The weight of the trailer should be on a placard.
Left front of the trailer , near the door or behind a cabinet door above the counter.
Thats DRY WEIGHT.

Or you could look it up here:

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-25-38-5693-0-0-0&l=1&w=25&p=38&f=5692&gc=RV&gtc=TT&ml=P

Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 12:05:30 pm »
Below about 5000 lbs gross weight and 400 lbs tongue weight, you should be fine with a standard receiver hitch.  Above that, you may want to look into the previously mentioned load distributing hitch.
Founding member, California Street Brewery

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 12:28:42 pm »
I had an older 24' Prowler & that thing weighed a ton!  6500 lbs.

Umm . . that's three and a half tons!   :D  ;)

Ha, you're right!  More like ~3,600 lbs.
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 12:41:25 pm »
A good question was asked earlier.  How much does it weigh?  I had an older 24' Prowler & that thing weighed a ton!  6500 lbs. IIRC  We towed it short distances with an Astro Van with a 4.3 HO & 4:10 gears.  Definitely needed a load balancing hitch, sway control, tranny cooler and electric brakes even for those short trips. I would never have taken it cross country.

Exactly why I asked.

Vehicles have tow limits and total weight limits. GVWR. A vehicle should never be loaded beyond the manufacturer's listed GVWR.

Weaz - have you checked the weight/tow limits?

OR ELSE!!!

Ron Price

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 01:41:24 pm »
Below about 5000 lbs gross weight and 400 lbs tongue weight, you should be fine with a standard receiver hitch.  Above that, you may want to look into the previously mentioned load distributing hitch.

I strongly disagree.  Get the load distributing hitch.

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 01:42:33 pm »
A good question was asked earlier.  How much does it weigh?  I had an older 24' Prowler & that thing weighed a ton!  6500 lbs. IIRC  We towed it short distances with an Astro Van with a 4.3 HO & 4:10 gears.  Definitely needed a load balancing hitch, sway control, tranny cooler and electric brakes even for those short trips. I would never have taken it cross country.

Wow.  That seems like alot for an Astro van

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 02:21:37 pm »

Wow.  That seems like alot for an Astro van
Ha, it was, but I didn't recall correctly.  It was more like 3,400 lbs dry.  Still a load though!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 07:17:39 pm »
  Did some investigatin' today. Found the Trailblazer is already wired for a brake controller. The hitch is rated for 400 on the tongue, and 6,000 trailer. Looked in my owners manual, and with my engine / trans, I'm good for 5,700lbs. Not sure of my rear end gearing, so that is assuming the lightest I can pull. I'll check with the dealer, to find out for sure, but even at 5,700, that should be plenty of butt to pull it. And if I go with a WD hitch, I can even go heavier.
   I'm getting anxious to get out of here now. I'm done with work, and won't be seriously looking till about July. Taking some time off. And, my new man cave is being built as I type this. Look out Idaho!  ;D

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 07:23:12 pm »
So are you guys gonna live in the trailer or are your inlaws gonna.

I wish I had a trailer. Heck, I would live in a cave right about now.  >:(
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 07:35:41 pm »
Nah, we are getting the trailer for camping. Only reason is I got such a steal on it. It's a mid 80's, self contained, in GREAT shape. 1500$!! I'd be stupid not to buy.
   (oh, and I'll be living in the mancave. a little more on that......it's 20x12. Gonna run water to it. I have an 8ft set of SWEET cabinets that are going to go in it, and it will have a bar. The bar and will partition the back part off, and will have vinyl on the floor. This is where the brewing will happen. Up front, will be the big screen, with PS3, my big ole' recliner with heat and massage, and my couch. Gonna deck it all out in Ohio State, and Marilyn Monroe. I'm putting A/C in it too. Them Idaho people swear it's a dry heat, but 90* is 90*. And off the front, it will have a 20x4 porch, with a roof over it. When it's done, party at my house!!!!)

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 10:01:40 pm »

So are you guys gonna live in the trailer or are your inlaws gonna.

Oh my heck
THAT is an instant classic right there :D :D!

So you gonna make Holly tow that camper.

er maybe you won't be rollin in the Silverado aye :'(

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2010, 10:57:23 am »
Did you seriously just say "oh my heck"? 

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 04:58:27 pm »
Did you seriously just say "oh my heck"? 
Better get used to it.  :D Fetch was always my favorite Utah curse word.

I've lived in the West and the Midwest and 90 degrees is a lot different with low humidity. I worked outside in Utah but there's no way I'd survive a summer (or winter) in Illinois.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.