Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PBW 101  (Read 10102 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
PBW 101
« on: February 22, 2014, 03:16:04 pm »
I finally picked up some PBW and plan on replacing my dish soap usage. Is there anything particular worth commenting about while using PBW? As I understand it, it is more of a soaking cleaning method. Can I use it with a soft sponge to scrub plastic? Any issues touching the stuff for long periods? Thanks and I hope you all are enjoying the weekend!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: PBW 101
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 03:57:24 pm »
I find if you can give things a hot soak for several hours or overnight, most organic material is very easily removed with light scrubbing.  I always wear gloves, PBW I believe is a fairly strong base that will strip your hands natural oils leaving them very dry, particularly is you also work with StarSan without wearing gloves.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 03:59:36 pm »
So would PBW not be necessary for cleaning fermenting buckets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 04:09:51 pm »
I don't use it on buckets just because they are so easy to clean with a regular mild dish soap and when I'm scrubbing (gently with a non abrasive sponge), I like bubbles.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 10:20:22 pm »
I use it on all my fermenters, but its the most useful on carboys and better bottles where you can't reach everywhere. I prefer not to scrub my plastic buckets to minimize scratches, so that's why I use PBW on them.

For fermenters I'd recommend 1/3 the recommended rate (1 tsp per gallon instead of 1 tbsp per gallon). It works just as well and will save you some serious cash. For kettles I'd use it at the recommended concentration.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 09:49:40 am »

I guess it depends on the definition of "necessary".  I generally use Oxiclean, which is very much like PBW but less expensive.  But about once every 3-4 uses, I clean my buckets with PBW and it appears to remove s4tuff that the Oxiclean didn't.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 10:02:04 am »

I guess it depends on the definition of "necessary".  I generally use Oxiclean, which is very much like PBW but less expensive.  But about once every 3-4 uses, I clean my buckets with PBW and it appears to remove s4tuff that the Oxiclean didn't.

+1 on oxiclean. I usually buy it when Costco puts the 10 lb boxes on sale.
Frank

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 10:51:48 am »
+1 on oxiclean. I usually buy it when Costco puts the 10 lb boxes on sale.

Same here, Frank.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 11:11:09 am »
10lbs? I don't think I've seen that big. I do buy the largest they have a repackage it into old costco almond containers.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 11:21:18 am »
PBW is also great in the corny washers with hot water. About 20 minute cycles and no scrubbing. If you use bottles, soak them over night and the labels tend to slip right off and the glue residue is much easier to remove.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 11:32:48 am »
10lbs? I don't think I've seen that big. I do buy the largest they have a repackage it into old costco almond containers.

Yep... To be honest it might be bigger. They have 14 lb boxes. Usually have two bags inside. I think it runs around $30 or so
Frank

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 11:55:36 am »
My LHBS sells PBW for $16 a lb which I think is crazy. Is that similar for anyone else? 
I hooked into a distributor and bought a 55 lb pail for $120. Big mark up.
I find myself much more likely to use the recommended amount now.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 12:08:11 pm »
My LHBS sells PBW for $16 a lb which I think is crazy. Is that similar for anyone else? 
I hooked into a distributor and bought a 55 lb pail for $120. Big mark up.
I find myself much more likely to use the recommended amount now.

120 is a really good deal, thats essentially what distributors pay for them from 5Star.  Also when you buy from Distributors there is no retail mark up, thats 55lb pail should go for about 300 bucks, and bulk is ALWAYS cheaper
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 07:54:29 pm »
If you use bottles, soak them over night and the labels tend to slip right off and the glue residue is much easier to remove.

Thanks for this tip.  I was soaking bottles in a bleach solution and I would still have to scrap glue off.  Tonight I let a bunch of bottles soak in Oxyclean for about 1/2 hour and the labels literally slid off.  Any glue residue that was left rinsed off under warm running water.  And why do American brewing companies put their labels on with so much glue?  With anything I get that was bottled in Europe, the labels almost come off by breathing on them.  Goose Island, Breckenridge, and Sam Adams are the exceptions.  Anyway, thanks for this one.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 12:23:32 pm »
I use ammonia to remove labels. About a cup in a few gallons and soak for several hours or overnight. Most peel off easily or fall off, some are stubborn. It depends on what glue the brewery uses. Ammonia is very cheap.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958