Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What would be the first step in ferreting out a chill haze problem.  (Read 4114 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Hi all. I'm an all grain brewer and I pretty much always get some chill haze in varying degrees. I typically do about a one hour mash then batch sparge. My efficiency runs between 75and 80% and I almost always either hit my OG or a little higher than my recipe calls for so it seems like I'm getting good conversion.

My chill hazed beers always precipitate out in the fridge after a few weeks so it's not a big concern but for competitions I feel like I may be going past the best flavor time while I'm getting the haze to settle. I batch prime and bottle as we'll, no room for kegs.

I typically do a 60 minute boil (90 with a pils base malt). Would a longer boil time be more likely to help the problem or a longer mash? I usually add my bittering hops as soon as it begins to boil and the hot break falls. I've been contemplating doing a 90 minute boil regardless of base malt.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 07:47:14 am by swlusk »
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What would be the first step in ferreting out a chill haze problem.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 07:52:18 am »
Start simple... Add a whirlfloc tab to the boil for the last 10 minutes. Cheap and easy!
Frank

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 08:00:51 am »
Start simple... Add a whirlfloc tab to the boil for the last 10 minutes. Cheap and easy!
Oops...  Forgot to mention that I do indeed use whirlfloc in my boils. I do 2.5 gallon half batches so I use a half of a whirlfloc tablet.
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 08:02:08 am »
Oops...  Forgot to mention that I do indeed use whirlfloc in my boils. I do 2.5 gallon half batches so I use a half of a whirlfloc tablet.

Ok then... Let somebody more educated than me weigh in  :P
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 08:40:39 am »
Maintaining good pH control in AG beers is important to clarity, for starters. Whirlfloc (which you use) is pretty effective for me. Keep in mind that chill haze is a different thing from yeast induced haze. A beer that is otherwise clear might have some chill haze when poured , then clear up after warming up for a couple minutes. However yeast that is still in suspension will cause prolonged haze until it falls to the bottom, some strains quicker than others. Gelatin is pretty effective for this, as is cold crashing @ near 32F for a couple days. If you already cold crash I recommend using gelatin. This site has a simple explanation of using gelatin - it works nicely. Also, watch that pH. Good luck !

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/06/how-to-clear-your-beer-with-gelatin.html
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 09:44:13 am »

The tabs are for 12 gal. batches, so 1/2 tab is enough for 5 gal.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 10:31:28 am »
Maintaining good pH control in AG beers is important to clarity, for starters. Whirlfloc (which you use) is pretty effective for me. Keep in mind that chill haze is a different thing from yeast induced haze. A beer that is otherwise clear might have some chill haze when poured , then clear up after warming up for a couple minutes. However yeast that is still in suspension will cause prolonged haze until it falls to the bottom, some strains quicker than others. Gelatin is pretty effective for this, as is cold crashing @ near 32F for a couple days. If you already cold crash I recommend using gelatin. This site has a simple explanation of using gelatin - it works nicely. Also, watch that pH. Good luck !

Great article, the gelatin sounds like a great solution.  Thanks for the reply. I do wonder about one thing in regard to cold crashing. If I plan to rinse the yeast cake, should I cold crash or slowly reduce the temps over several days? Will the slow temp drop work the same as cold crashing?  I've read that some believe cold crashing can shock the yeast and it's not recommended if you plan to rinse and repitch.

The tabs are for 12 gal. batches, so 1/2 tab is enough for 5 gal.
Looks like I've already been doubling up on the Whirlfloc in my 2.5 gallon batches. I'm thinking I might try a 1/4 tab :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:33:15 am by swlusk »
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 11:08:36 am »
Yes, pH is hugely important if you want clear beer. Try the colorpHast pH strips to start. They are fairly accurate.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 11:19:56 am »

Great article, the gelatin sounds like a great solution.  Thanks for the reply. I do wonder about one thing in regard to cold crashing. If I plan to rinse the yeast cake, should I cold crash or slowly reduce the temps over several days? Will the slow temp drop work the same as cold crashing?  I've read that some believe cold crashing can shock the yeast and it's not recommended if you plan to rinse and repitch.

You can reuse yeast after crashing. I let it warm a bit before reusing , but it works just fine.
Jon H.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 12:48:06 pm »
Excellent. Thanks for all the replies. One other question. I have about another week before bottling a Southern English brown ale that I fermented with WLP002. o you think it would be over kill to use gelatin on a reportedly very High flocculating yeast?
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 12:54:44 pm »
Usually, chill haze is caused by insufficient conversion time. Have you been checking for conversion before you sparge?
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 01:02:34 pm »
Excellent. Thanks for all the replies. One other question. I have about another week before bottling a Southern English brown ale that I fermented with WLP002. o you think it would be over kill to use gelatin on a reportedly very High flocculating yeast?

I think you should be fine, assuming your pH was good and,as Amanda said, you got good conversion. WLP002 normally falls pretty clear, pretty quickly.
Jon H.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 01:13:39 pm »
Usually, chill haze is caused by insufficient conversion time. Have you been checking for conversion before you sparge?
Typically I use brewers friend to calculate my water adjustment and PH range for the beer I'm brewing. I test about 10 minutes into my mash with precision labs pH 4662 strips that my LHBS sells. I'm always in the right ballpark according to the strip reading but I know they aren't going to be as accurate as a meter.

I think you should be fine, assuming your pH was good and,as Amanda said, you got good conversion. WLP002 normally falls pretty clear, pretty quickly.
Very good. This is my first use of WLP002, I'm anxious to see the results. :D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 01:15:33 pm by swlusk »
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 01:16:27 pm »
Typically I use brewers friend to calculate my water adjustment and PH range for the beer I'm brewing. I test about 10 minutes into my mash with precision labs pH 4662 strips that my LHBS sells. I'm always in the right ballpark according to the strip reading but I know they aren't going to be as accurate as a meter.

I didn't mean for you to check pH. I meant for you to check the actual conversion. e.g. an iodine test. If that is negative, then you know your conversion is the issue that needs working on.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 01:25:58 pm »

I didn't mean for you to check pH. I meant for you to check the actual conversion. e.g. an iodine test. If that is negative, then you know your conversion is the issue that needs working on.

Ah... I do use the iodine test at the 1 hour mark and use that as my marker for conversion. After reading your post, I went out and looked at a few videos of people performing an iodine conversion test, and I have to admit, it's possible that I am a bit short of full conversion. I'm planning a brew day in a week, I'm going to CLOSELY monitor my mash conversion. Thanks, again for the help. :D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 01:38:00 pm by swlusk »
Corripe Cervisiam