Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: House Yeast  (Read 7153 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: House Yeast
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2014, 05:38:18 am »
Bobby Jones was an amateur golfer, just sayin...I am an amateur brewer but not an immature brewer!  When I get paid to mix grains and produce wort, then I will be entitled to be called a pro brewer; until then amateur brewer, hobbyist brewer, homebrewer or just entrant suits me fine and no offense taken, as none was intended.

And S Cerevisiae - dude you got an awesome thing going - my daughter is in a graduate program in microbiology and I am going to show her your pics!  When I visited her, I streaked some agar plates and was pretty captivated by the whole process from autoclave to cultured plate.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2014, 06:49:33 pm »
And S Cerevisiae - dude you got an awesome thing going - my daughter is in a graduate program in microbiology and I am going to show her your pics!  When I visited her, I streaked some agar plates and was pretty captivated by the whole process from autoclave to cultured plate.

The yeast culturing work that I do is applied undergraduate level microbiology at best.  I used to be anal about performing perfect 4-quadrant streaks; however, I have reached a point where I just shoot for decent culture dilution in order to minimize the amount of time that the lid is up.  The Southern Tier plate was a plating experiment.  That petri dish is only 60mm wide.  I prefer to use 100mm-wide plates (the Scottish and Newcastle plate is a 100mm-wide petri dish).

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2014, 09:57:02 pm »
Most definitely cool.....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"