Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's your favorite funky beer?  (Read 7303 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What's your favorite funky beer?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 01:53:53 pm »
Jolly Pumpkin does some awesome stuff.  I especially like the Bam Biere, which is obviously made in the style of Orval.

Gueuzes/Lambics from Cantillon are always good.  I prefer Rodenbach Grand Cru to the Duchesse for Flanders Reds.
I did a Bam Wheat clone 2 years ago since it was my favorite of of the Bam series.  I brewed 6 gallons for some reason, lucky for me because my carboy of ready to drink Bam Hefe broke and all I was left with was the gallon jug I had saved.
As for funky beers it still has to be Orval. As for sour I love Rodenbach Grand Cru and the Duchesse, Drie Fontein, and just about any others.  Cantillon Lou Pepe 2003 Kriek is calling for me from the beer fridge as we speak.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline CASK1

• Cellarman
  • Jacksonville, FL
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 10:45:28 am »
A group of us in Jacksonville have initiated a Lambic Barrel project. This past weekend we met and sampled 16 commercial sour/funky beers, and are now culturing the "dregs" to pitch into our first 50 gallon batch. There was a wide range, from cleanly sour and fruity, to intense funky barnyard Brett. Here http://www.thecask.org/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=264 are tasting notes from this awesome event. They are listed in order of tasting. Each has a "score" out of 10, followed by my ranking (there are ties in ranking the 16 beers). I'm definitely a fan of Cantillon. This was a great way to get a wide sampling, since some of the beers are quite expensive. With 10 participants, we got 1-2 oz. pours of all 16, at $20 per head.

Cheers,

MikeL
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 10:48:18 am by mikel »

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 10:28:36 am »
My favorite "funky" beer of 2009 was either Avery Brabant, RR Consecration or CL CdC?  :-\
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 11:12:16 am »
Jacobin Geuze is excellent, as is Liefmann Kriek.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 06:32:45 pm »
Jolly Pumpkin does some awesome stuff.  I especially like the Bam Biere, which is obviously made in the style of Orval.

Gueuzes/Lambics from Cantillon are always good.  I prefer Rodenbach Grand Cru to the Duchesse for Flanders Reds.

I love Jolly Pumpkin and their BamBier os awesome. Orval may be one of my favorite beers in the Universe. I share that in common with Vinnie Cilurzo - least thats what he told me.

I also have had some excellent, awesome, OUTSTANDING funky and soured beers from De Dolle Brouwers, such as Oerbier. Sadly, for me, Rodenbach Grand Cru is just too damn sour. Makes a good salad dressing - but I need more balance in my acidity.

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 09:09:20 am »
I have been picking up any lambic/gueze/wild beers I can find for a few years now.  My favorites are probably (no prticular order):

-Isabelle Proximus from Russion River (actually a collaboration between Vinnie Cilurzo, Adam Avery, Sam Calagione, Tomme Arthur, and Rob Todd).

-Sui Generis - Avery Brewing

-Consecration - Russian River

-Cuvee De Tomme - Lost Abbey

-Lou Pepe Kriek - Cantillion

Offline dtblank

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 04:33:58 pm »
Cantillon  Rose de Gambrinus

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 12:17:31 pm »
I forgot about Cascade Brewing Co, (Not Cascade Lakes Brewing).  They are a small brewery out near Portland, OR and serve their beer at the Raccoon Lodge.  I had never had their beer before this year at the Great American Beer Festival.  All of their beers are Barrel Aged sours in 750ml bottles.  I must have gone through their line at least 20 times.  Anyone else a fan of their beers?

I wish we could get their beers here in Colorado.  If anyone wants to hook up a trade for something you can't get around Oregon I would love to do that! 

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 12:50:15 pm »
I'm a big fan of Cantillon (Gueze and Organic Gueze) and Boon Gueze, and regularly buy cuvee renee... all while listening to Parliment Funkadelic
Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 10:54:33 pm »
I am with ya Mikey,
but at the Sourfest in Boulder, I gotta say I liked the
Lost Abbey, Duck Duck Gooze....
AND, the pumphouse's  Cherry Bomb Saison....
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.