Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 5 issues craft beer drinkers should be aware of  (Read 6708 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: 5 issues craft beer drinkers should be aware of
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2014, 01:37:03 pm »
What I really need is a miniature bridge crane with a remote controlled hoist. That's the ticket!  8)

No, no, no...you need an anti gravity platform!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2014, 02:10:39 pm »
After watching several chain falls fail in spectacular fashion on my last job site (think immediate drop of a 6'-0" diameter FRP pipe from 12' high - it's pretty intense), I'll stay away from those. And yes, the chain falls were rated for that size and type of load.

It doesn't sound like that guy was keeping his foot regardless of what he was wearing.

You cannot plan for catastrophic failure.  We can take all the reasonable safety measures imaginable but there's no guarantee.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Roger Burns

• 1st Kit
  • Just call me Jack.... of all trades
    • Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2014, 06:26:16 am »
Worst thing that happened to me while brewing was not to me, but my daughter. She walked by as I turned on a pump. The end of the hose was not pointing down into the kettle. It was pointing up and out. A stream of hot wort shot 5 or so feet away and just missed her face. That was a wakeup call. I have a safety zone now of ten feet or zero children. We also do not crack a brew until the cleaning finishes in most cases.

I would love to get rid of all my glass carboys, but until then, I use milk crates to protect them and myself. I almost never touch the glass.
Roger Burns
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
American Homebrewers Association: 155297
[3.9, 125.7] Apparent Rennerian

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2014, 07:39:47 am »
What I really need is a miniature bridge crane with a remote controlled hoist. That's the ticket!  8)

No, no, no...you need an anti gravity platform!

Somebody needs to invent a hoverboard. 

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2014, 09:07:03 am »

Somebody needs to invent a hoverboard. 

They have until October of next year. Better get moving.

Offline rjberry

• Cellarman
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2014, 02:50:19 pm »
This brings to light a few things you don't normally think about.  I'll probably forward this on to my wife, who likes craft beer as much as me (hell...she bought me my original membership!).  The over consumption can definitely be a problem too.  Whether it's lunch or dinner you may think 2 beers with a meal is safe, but that catches up quickly.  I usually limit myself to 1 regardless of ABV, but that's more about cops in my area being a little crazy than actual safety.  The second (and third ;) ) are usually homebrews once I'm comfortable at home.
“We’re not here for the game. The game is nothing. The game is crap. The game makes me sick. The real reason we Americans put up with sports is for this: Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise.” - Homer Simpson