Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kumquat Wheat/Kolsch Recipe  (Read 8379 times)

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Kumquat Wheat/Kolsch Recipe
« on: February 25, 2014, 09:46:00 am »
So I like kumquats and found the article interesting in the latest issue as well as the two recipes provided. In reading through the process and having never done a beer with fruit (Although I've read countless things about it) the process given involves adding the kumquats to the secondary for a period of time like a dry hop and then packaging but there is no discussion of an actual secondary fermentation taking place and I am assuming there would be from the remaining yeast and added sugars. am I missing something? I'm looking for some additional insight from those that know.

The article also states the kumquats can simply be added to a keg like a dry hop and again there is no mention of secondary fermentation but in this case I would think it's a non-issue due to temperature of keg being kept cold and yeast activity being nil.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Kumquat Wheat/Kolsch Recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:51:46 am »
are they whole? unbroken kumquats? I imagine mostly you would get the essential oils out of the skin that way. it would take a while for the yeas to work it's way through the peel and to the sugar inside. Also, not a lot of sugar in kumquats...

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 09:56:38 am »
The recipe says 2lb pureed kumquats, added halfway through a month of lagering at 34F.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 11:41:28 am »
The recipe says 2lb pureed kumquats, added halfway through a month of lagering at 34F.

This is for the Kolsch recipe but I would still anticipate some secondary fermentation at some point, especially if this were to be bottled. If kegged it is a mute point I believe

Jonathon,
Both recipes call for the fruit being split in half to expose the flesh and the few seeds being removed as they contain pectin which might create haze issues in the final product so yes, I still wonder about the additional sugars being an issue.

Am I missing something?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 11:45:01 am »
This is for the Kolsch recipe but I would still anticipate some secondary fermentation at some point, especially if this were to be bottled. If kegged it is a mute point I believe

I think you mean a moo point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ifdqEmlx-I

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 11:50:00 am »

I think you mean a moo point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ifdqEmlx-I

ok, that was just too funny!

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 11:52:23 am »
I don't think you're missing anything. No reason those sugars won't ferment if the beer comes to room temp. Maybe there aren't many sugars? Or maybe the author always kegs.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 11:55:20 am »
I don't think you're missing anything. No reason those sugars won't ferment if the beer comes to room temp. Maybe there aren't many sugars? Or maybe the author always kegs.

So I think it was just missed by the author to mention and if brewed and not kegged it should just be assumed some additional fermentation would occur, let it proceed until complete in secondary and then package as desired.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 12:02:44 pm »
yeah in that case I would expect a minor secondary fermentation. on the pectin point, I'm pretty sure citrus peel has a TON of pectin but as long as you don't heat it the pectin shouldn't cause haze.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 12:17:10 pm »

yeah in that case I would expect a minor secondary fermentation. on the pectin point, I'm pretty sure citrus peel has a TON of pectin but as long as you don't heat it the pectin shouldn't cause haze.

Makes sense, the pectin issue was mentioned in the article saying the seeds had a ton of it but IIRC there are like 3 tiny seeds in a kumquat:)

Might have to give one of these recipes a try when I can find some good kumquats

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 12:22:23 pm »
you know, I never had a kumquat till I moved to california. but I really enjoy them. like an orange or tangerine but without all the sweetness, just wonderful aroma/flavor and touch of sour.

Here they have a cross that's available sometimes, a limequat. it's just what it sounds like tiny fully edible limes. yum.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 01:55:18 pm »

you know, I never had a kumquat till I moved to california. but I really enjoy them. like an orange or tangerine but without all the sweetness, just wonderful aroma/flavor and touch of sour.

Here they have a cross that's available sometimes, a limequat. it's just what it sounds like tiny fully edible limes. yum.

Exactly! I find them pretty tasty although here in the Chicago are I have to track them down when in season, it's a little challenging.

I'll look for the limequat, that sounds good too!

Offline franksbrewingcompany

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 09:02:58 pm »
I just bottled the Kumquat Wheat today.  I made a two gallon batch. Got the kumquats from a friend who had a bunch she did not know what to do with.  I sanitized the outside of the kumquats with starsan and then cut them in half to seed them.  I then froze the kumquats until I was ready for them in the secondary.  I never really saw any evidence of a secondary fermentation happening.  I could see a little bubbles on the fruit but not anything I would call a krausen.

Offline ABUNSTER

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 01:10:02 pm »
I just bottled the Kumquat Wheat today.  I made a two gallon batch. Got the kumquats from a friend who had a bunch she did not know what to do with.  I sanitized the outside of the kumquats with starsan and then cut them in half to seed them.  I then froze the kumquats until I was ready for them in the secondary.  I never really saw any evidence of a secondary fermentation happening.  I could see a little bubbles on the fruit but not anything I would call a krausen.

Hi guys! I have a question. The recipe calls for 2 lbs (roughly 48 kumquats) but then the explanation says to add 24 kumquats into the secondary. What happened to the other half? I'm planning to try this recipe next week (summertime here in Chile) so I appreciate your help.

Offline franksbrewingcompany

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 02:28:17 pm »
I think it is a typo.  Just go based on the weight, 2 pounds for a 5 gallon batch.