General Category > Zymurgy

Kumquat Wheat/Kolsch Recipe

(1/4) > >>

duboman:
So I like kumquats and found the article interesting in the latest issue as well as the two recipes provided. In reading through the process and having never done a beer with fruit (Although I've read countless things about it) the process given involves adding the kumquats to the secondary for a period of time like a dry hop and then packaging but there is no discussion of an actual secondary fermentation taking place and I am assuming there would be from the remaining yeast and added sugars. am I missing something? I'm looking for some additional insight from those that know.

The article also states the kumquats can simply be added to a keg like a dry hop and again there is no mention of secondary fermentation but in this case I would think it's a non-issue due to temperature of keg being kept cold and yeast activity being nil.

morticaixavier:
are they whole? unbroken kumquats? I imagine mostly you would get the essential oils out of the skin that way. it would take a while for the yeas to work it's way through the peel and to the sugar inside. Also, not a lot of sugar in kumquats...

Jimmy K:
The recipe says 2lb pureed kumquats, added halfway through a month of lagering at 34F.

duboman:

--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on February 25, 2014, 09:56:38 AM ---The recipe says 2lb pureed kumquats, added halfway through a month of lagering at 34F.

--- End quote ---

This is for the Kolsch recipe but I would still anticipate some secondary fermentation at some point, especially if this were to be bottled. If kegged it is a mute point I believe

Jonathon,
Both recipes call for the fruit being split in half to expose the flesh and the few seeds being removed as they contain pectin which might create haze issues in the final product so yes, I still wonder about the additional sugars being an issue.

Am I missing something?

Steve in TX:

--- Quote from: duboman on February 25, 2014, 11:41:28 AM ---This is for the Kolsch recipe but I would still anticipate some secondary fermentation at some point, especially if this were to be bottled. If kegged it is a mute point I believe

--- End quote ---

I think you mean a moo point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ifdqEmlx-I

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version