Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kumquat Wheat/Kolsch Recipe  (Read 8378 times)

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Kumquat Wheat/Kolsch Recipe
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 05:55:35 pm »
I made the kumquat wheat beer last year, and it won best of show in a local comp. out of 250 beers.

I used about 1 1/2 lbs. of halved Kumquats in the secondary for about a week and one half. There was a bit of re-fermentation, but I don't think there is much sugar in kumquats. When you slice the fruit in half, take out any seeds as they contain pectin which may adversely affect heading on the beer.

That recipe out of Zymurgy is excellent, though I also noticed the contradiction in the amounts of kumquats. A pound and one half seemed to be just right-- and I guess the judges thought so too. And I heard from a friend that was at the best of show round, and he said that they couldn't believe they were awarding it to a fruit beer.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline ABUNSTER

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 08:52:34 am »
I made the kumquat wheat beer last year, and it won best of show in a local comp. out of 250 beers.

I used about 1 1/2 lbs. of halved Kumquats in the secondary for about a week and one half. There was a bit of re-fermentation, but I don't think there is much sugar in kumquats. When you slice the fruit in half, take out any seeds as they contain pectin which may adversely affect heading on the beer.

That recipe out of Zymurgy is excellent, though I also noticed the contradiction in the amounts of kumquats. A pound and one half seemed to be just right-- and I guess the judges thought so too. And I heard from a friend that was at the best of show round, and he said that they couldn't believe they were awarding it to a fruit beer.

Thanks a lot for the advise Frank. I'll go with 1 1/2 lbs.

Offline ocddot

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 07:44:42 am »
What category is the kumquat wheat ale? I brewed the kumquat wheat ale and want to enter it into my local fair homebrew competition.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 07:53:24 am »
20a - fruit beer