Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 124 members to not get into the 2014 home brew competition, post here  (Read 4217 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: 124 members to not get into the 2014 home brew competition, post here
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 10:19:12 pm »
So, is she saying everyone that signed up can opt in?
That's fantastic!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 05:19:47 am »
I think they did a great job in being as fair as possible.  I am entering 2 beers for the first time in the NHC and got my third choice of sites.  My first choice site is a drop off site only 15 miles from my house and less then 3 miles from where I work, but since it is the Chicago area site, I expected that it would fill, so I am happy to ship to KC.  If I had not gotten in, I would have been disappointed, too.  Perhaps those who are shut out at their chosen sites could get  a choice of sending to any open sites, as they did this year, or be given 1 or 2 extra lottery spots the following year?  That might be unworkable, so I don't presume that it is feasible, but it would increase their odds without outright guaranteeing a spot?  Kinda like the NBA draft lottery....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 06:18:29 am »
I understand the disappointment people are feeling about not making it through the lottery and wish you all luck in the new 3rd round.  (Full disclosure - I have never and will likely never enter a beer in a comp.  I brew for me and don't feel the need to gather chunks of metal to point out how great I am.  If comps are your thing, have fun.)

I'm impressed with the AHA on the solution they came up this year to get more people in.  After listening to 6 months of boo-hoo and woe-is-me whining last year about it all I can say is "GREAT JOB JANIS and THE CREW!!!".

To the few who still don't make it the first round I'll pass on some advice given to me a boss I had once.  It really pissed my team off at the time but, with a little more grey hair, it really is true.  "Life isn't fair, quit expecting it to be.  It isn't about you and you need to get over this set back and move forward." 

Feel free to express your disappointment but then contribute suggestions to improve the process.  Crying about it won't help you or those around you.

Again, great work this year AHA and thank you!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 06:39:21 am »
I understand the disappointment people are feeling about not making it through the lottery and wish you all luck in the new 3rd round.  (Full disclosure - I have never and will likely never enter a beer in a comp.  I brew for me and don't feel the need to gather chunks of metal to point out how great I am.  If comps are your thing, have fun.)

I'm impressed with the AHA on the solution they came up this year to get more people in.  After listening to 6 months of boo-hoo and woe-is-me whining last year about it all I can say is "GREAT JOB JANIS and THE CREW!!!".

To the few who still don't make it the first round I'll pass on some advice given to me a boss I had once.  It really pissed my team off at the time but, with a little more grey hair, it really is true.  "Life isn't fair, quit expecting it to be.  It isn't about you and you need to get over this set back and move forward." 

Feel free to express your disappointment but then contribute suggestions to improve the process.  Crying about it won't help you or those around you.

Again, great work this year AHA and thank you!

Paul

So much of this is so true!