Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 124 members to not get into the 2014 home brew competition, post here  (Read 4247 times)

Offline coyote68

• 1st Kit
Heres The Email i Got:

Dear ___,
Thank you for applying to enter the 2014 National Homebrew Competition. After two rounds of random lottery drawing, you are one of a small group of applicants that unfortunately did not get selected to enter the competition. The competition was able to accept 97 percent (all but 124) of an original pool of 3,557 total applicants.

The lottery system used for this year’s competition was intended to balance the goals of accommodating as many entrants as possible while avoiding wide variation in the number of entries per judge center, which would have created significant competitive advantages for those entrants in the judge centers with the fewest entries. See the NHC Registration Lottery story on HomebrewersAssociation.org for a complete explanation of the lottery process.

Ultimately, this year’s competition has around 3,200 entrants, compared to 2,187 entrants in last year’s competition, representing a 46 percent increase in the number of entrants competing. With more than 43,000 American Homebrewers Association members, it is simply not possible to ensure that every member will have an opportunity to enter the competition, but we will continue to strive to allow as many members as feasible to compete while ensuring the integrity of the competition.

Thank you.

well i am one that got the news that my membership doesn't have that privilige.
this lottery system really sucks.  >:(
seems pretty crappy to not even have a chance later on after the deadline to at the very least be given a chance to "fill in" one of the vacant spots.

and the AHA raised the membership dues this year....
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:31:32 pm by coyote68 »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: 124 members to not get into the 2014 home brew competition, post here
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 01:49:32 pm »
Sorry you didn't make it in. This was their best shot at a fair solution and I am sure it will get better in the future.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 02:25:40 pm »
I too am sorry you didn't make it in. it's not a perfect solution but I can't think of one that is. there is a finite number of slots available and a much larger pool of people trying to score those spots. someone is going to get left out in the cold.

On the bright side, there is next year and what other lotteries give you those kinds of odds? you had a ~3% chance of NOT getting in.

Hopefully we can figure out a way to be even more inclusive next year. It might be as simple as dropping the 'willing to ship to' selection and making it clear that you might get selected in ANY of the 12 judging centers. as I understand it most, if not all, of the 124 folks that didn't get it didn't get in because there was not room in any of their selected judging centers while some room remained in 4 centers.
Not being privy to the math or the programs used I can't say this would have accommodated all interested parties but it would have further reduced the ranks of the unlucky.

Again, I'm sorry to hear that you did not get in and I feel for all 124 of the members that did not. Let's hope it's better next year!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 02:33:29 pm »
Yes it sucks.

Last year the forum was filled with unhappy people who didn't get in, as they had jobs, server crashed, etc.

They did accommodate many more in the competition this year.

The bottle neck is the availability of judges, to form judging sites. The solution is to have more take the test to increase the pool of BJCP judges. I became a judge a few years back, after having competed, it was time to pitch in and judge also.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 02:42:11 pm »
Yes it sucks.

Last year the forum was filled with unhappy people who didn't get in, as they had jobs, server crashed, etc.

The bottle neck is the availability of judges, to form judging sites. The solution is to have more take the test to increase the pool of BJCP judges. I became a judge a few years back, after having competed, it was time to pitch in and judge also.

This is a good point. Even better than voting (which is always great!) we can each help out by getting involved in the judging itself. I'm signed up for a training course and exam this fall! so that should take care of it!  ;)
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline darwin18

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 02:57:51 pm »
Yes, it's the BJCP's fault that all the slots in the competition have been filled.  Wait, what?  Four of the twelve centers aren't at full capacity? 

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/news/national-homebrew-competition-entry-registration-lottery/

How exactly would adding more competition centers make a difference when they're not filling to capacity for the existing centers?  It seems to me that a better solution would be to implement or develop a competition software that can adjust entries to make so that all the centers are completely filled.  I don't think it's particularly fair that I got the max of four entries and 124 other people couldn't get a single entry. 

I do think this year's entire process was a tremendous improvement so far over 2013's experience.  I hope that the AHA continues to improve this process and hopefully get everyone who registers at least one entry in future NHCs.
BJCP #F0684 - Certified

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 03:24:53 pm »
if the OP's registration reflects that they would ship anywhere, and somehow despite some regions not being full they did not get in, then they have my sympathy, and deserve an explanation.  If this is a glitch then it needs to be worked out.

If, however, they put that they would ship to certain regions, and not to others, then I do not feel bad for them.
Everyone that registered has already had the chance to say where they are willing to send entries.  Offering them empty spots in regions they weren't willing to ship to is silly.  How about offering me one of those empty spots, since I said I was willing to send more than 4?!

Furthermore, a previous Zymurgy article said that there was room to expand the First Round by up to THREE, to 14 regionals.  It expanded by ONE.  Though we haven't been told where the biggest demand is located, I think we all know where it is.  Clubs in those areas are welcome to step up and organize additional First Round locations. 

124 is not a big number.  In the AHA's shoes I might have contacted the regions and inquired whether they were willing to expand from 750 to 800 or some other similar small increase to try to accommodate additional entrants.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 03:33:22 pm »
Yes it sucks.

This is a good point. Even better than voting (which is always great!) we can each help out by getting involved in the judging itself. I'm signed up for a training course and exam this fall! so that should take care of it!  ;)

Right on guys, I'm signed up for the course and exam this spring too.

To the OP, sorry you didn't get in this year and I think the AHA did a great job of improving the process on several levels this year.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 03:44:52 pm »
Yes, it's the BJCP's fault that all the slots in the competition have been filled.  Wait, what?  Four of the twelve centers aren't at full capacity? 

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/news/national-homebrew-competition-entry-registration-lottery/

How exactly would adding more competition centers make a difference when they're not filling to capacity for the existing centers?  It seems to me that a better solution would be to implement or develop a competition software that can adjust entries to make so that all the centers are completely filled.  I don't think it's particularly fair that I got the max of four entries and 124 other people couldn't get a single entry. 

I do think this year's entire process was a tremendous improvement so far over 2013's experience.  I hope that the AHA continues to improve this process and hopefully get everyone who registers at least one entry in future NHCs.

If the growth continues, and I don't see it slowing, there will be no open slots next year and many more ticked off members.

More judges also allows the centers to get done in one weekend. There have been sites that needed many sessions to finish in the past.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 06:06:47 pm »
Hi all,

Here's irony for you.  This afternoon we ran a 3rd lottery for the 124 to give them a chance to participate in the competition.  The spots we filled were in the 3 competitions that had not reached the 750 entry capacity.  Granted the 3 sites were not picked as alternative sites by any of those left out of the competition, but now they have a chance to be in the competition.  That's win-win in my book.

Good luck in the competition!

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 06:10:51 pm »
Yay Janis!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 06:50:50 pm »
This is excellent Janis. Third lottery? Who knew?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 07:38:07 pm »
One thing I have learned about the AHA Staff is that they ALWAYS try to be inclusive. 

Thanks Janis
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 07:49:03 pm »
Nice!
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 08:10:03 pm »
Great work by the AHA in accomadating the greatest number of homebrewers. The president from my club just found out that he can enter his beers now and he is turning cartwheels.
Dan Chisholm