Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oops  (Read 2988 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Oops
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 07:20:17 pm »
Most union shops have some kind of "admit it before you're caught" substance abuse language. But I don't know about teachers.

Reminds me. In the late 70s I had an older than dirt English teacher who liked her coffee nudges. She got caught and retired when someone super glued her thermos to her desk.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 07:24:37 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 08:54:33 pm »
If a teacher came to work drunk, but turned themself in before getting caught, admitting the mistake... would they be disciplined? I don't know, I'm not a teacher, just curious if anyone knows...

Ummm, yeah.  I'm pretty sure that would be a big problem.  I'm not willing to test it out for you though! 

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 06:51:35 am »
My first thought was maybe the kid didn't have a clean record before this incident...
To be honest, kind of my first thought too. I was thinking - yeah sure Mom, you're kids completely innocent. Hard to tell what the situation really is from a news story, even though we're all experts now after reading it on the internet.  ;D
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 07:59:09 am »
To me it reads completely different: I'm fairly sure his naivete demonstrates a lack of prior incidents.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 08:32:34 am »
Everyone knows all children are demonic.  As soon as they start to exhibit symptoms they must be severely punished.  Why do you think the nuns carried rulers on their rosary belts?  To beat the hell out of you, of course.   ;D

All kidding aside, the teacher needed to keep their job.  The superintendent needed to keep their job.  The school board and the state are constantly gunning for their jobs.  Everyone only did what they had to do to stay employed.  No one really cared if the kid had a beer.  The new way of education in the US.  No child left behind by redefining success.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 11:01:46 am »
Zero Tollerance rocks!

+1

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 02:34:46 pm »
bit of a zero tolerance tangent, but wondering how you guys feel about the kid in Tennessee suspended after a random search of his dad's truck (that the kid had driven to school) turned up a fishing knife between the seat and console no one knew was there.

http://www.wate.com/story/24822738/hs-student-suspended-after-knife-found-in-dads-truck

they reduced the suspension (and *whew!* he can now go to prom!) but oh yeah still facing a weapons charge...

Offline Stevie

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 03:28:44 pm »
Letter of the law versus spirit of the law.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 05:56:55 am »
Schools are swinging the other way from 70's and 80's where kids could basically take a swing at a teacher and get away with it. We used to smoke dope walking down the halls. It got a lot worse, I won't go on record here. ;)

Yesterday some kid ripped my youngest son's glasses off. My boy did what he was instructed to do at home. Zero tolerance to bullies. He punched him. Now both kids are suspended. My son may be in trouble with school and they can handle it the way they handle it but I instructed the principal that there will be no punishment at home.

Over reacting is their policy to everything. OTOH when you live in a day and age where kids go to school and get shot up by other students ....

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 06:51:13 am »
Just like Keith mentioned, oh how times have changed.  When I was in high school, worse thing that could happen would be a fight and you get hit in the head w/ a "Trapper Keeper". (happened once during a fight between two girls!).

These days it seems like there's a shooting in Chicago schools every other day and we all know what's happened a couple of times here in CO. 

I understand some of the no tolerance stances, but it seems that common sense has been replaced w / uber political correctness.  All this makes home schooling a very attractive alternative. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Stevie

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 01:07:47 pm »
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9446120

Reduced his time at alternative school from 60 school days to 30 school days. Still too much. I understand the suspension, but alternative school is going too far.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 01:19:39 pm »
Agreed. It's a sad state of affairs. Schools would rather err on the side of being unfair to a kid than risk being another school where something terrible happens. I get it, but it's crap.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 02:03:12 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 02:01:18 pm »
These days it seems like there's a shooting in Chicago schools every other day 

Ouch!  We may have daily shootings here, but I can't think of one that actually took place in a school.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton