General Category > Pimp My System

Peltier Cooled Conical

(1/6) > >>

ddcurtis69:
When purchasing my conical fermenter a few years ago, I just couldn't swallow the extra cost for a cooled unit.  I purchased the un-cooled version and lived with it for a year or so.  However, as my geek nature wasn't happy with lack of temperature control, my creative juices started flowing.  Attached are pictures of the peltier cooling and heating (with block heater) setup I built for my 14 gallon conical fermenter.  It is working great and has been able to get 14 gallons down to 33F with an ambient temperature of 67F.  I am loving this thing and now moving into lagers with my newfound temperature control.  I also fitted my 7 gallon conical with the same setup, except only 2 peltier chips instead of 4.  I have way less in this build than buying a pre-made peltier cooled fermenter.  Cheers!

COOLING BLOCK WITH PELTIER CHIPS AND HEAT SINKS MOUNTED

FERMENTER SHOWING ONE OF TWO BLOCKS INSTALLED

FERMENTER MOSTLY INSULATED

CONTROLLER&POWER SUPPLY OUTSIDE BREWERY

BULLET PLUGS INSIDE BREWERY TO "PLUG IN" FERMENTER

ICE ON ALUMINUM BLOCK

ICE ON INSIDE OF FERMENTER

morticaixavier:
cool (pardon the pun).

how's the power consumption? do you have anything between the chiller and the conical to improve thermal transfer?

ddcurtis69:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on February 26, 2014, 09:18:37 AM ---cool (pardon the pun).

how's the power consumption? do you have anything between the chiller and the conical to improve thermal transfer?

--- End quote ---

I am not measuring power consumption, but am about as efficient as I can be I think.  I had the blocks lapped to make them very smooth and use heat sink thermal paste not only on both sides of the peltier chips, but also between the aluminum blocks and the conical.

kramerog:
I had no idea that Peltier coolers could do this.  What are the 4 Peltier coolers rated for power-wise?

ccfoo242:
Sweet!

Sent from the future using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version