Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 5 issues craft beer drinkers should be aware of  (Read 6707 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: 5 issues craft beer drinkers should be aware of
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 12:55:44 pm »
Good article Denny. It probably wouldn't be a bad thing to start making safety a cool thing, even in homebrew. Perhaps a forum section devoted to it. Maybe a push for a session on safety at NHC ? Or even frequent safety articles in Zymurgy?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 01:44:07 pm »
safety hell, let's talk about gender! that's an issue everywhere!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 02:04:37 pm »
Good article Denny. It probably wouldn't be a bad thing to start making safety a cool thing, even in homebrew. Perhaps a forum section devoted to it. Maybe a push for a session on safety at NHC ? Or even frequent safety articles in Zymurgy?

Damn good idea, Jim!  Wanna write it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 02:13:04 pm »

Article #1: Get Rid of Glass Carboys.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 02:14:22 pm »
You beat me to it, Joe. That would've been my first one.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 02:17:16 pm »

There were a few mentions of safety in past Zymurgy articles, one by Chris Frey comes to mind.

I try and pay attention to safety when brewing. Boiling sticky liquids, open flames, hot metal stands and pots, pressurized gases, glass now and then, and electricity for pumps and bucket heaters - what could go wrong?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 02:24:13 pm »
I brew on the stove top, so propane, big flames, and hot stands are not currently a concern.  But there are big pots, boiling liquids, and large-ish flames.  Nothing I would worry too much about but for the nearness of children.  They're always there and want to help.  I didn't worry about my glass carboys until the kids became a factor.  Like a lot of other things in life, my safety didn't seem as important until I realized there are others who depend on me.  My safety still doesn't seem as important as their safety, but the kids have made me a better and more conscientious person in many respects.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 02:31:34 pm »
+1 to that. Same here.
Jon H.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 02:40:08 pm »
Kids definitely made a difference but so did finding out a member of our church slipped and poured 5 (maybe 10, never really found out the details) gallons of boiling wort down his front one day.  Many months of painful skin grafts and years of recovery to get back to any resemblance of normal for him was an eye opener.  I reinforced that image over Christmas break with my slip on the ice while moving 5 gallons of boiling wort.  I landed the pot but can easily imagine the damaged knee compounded by 3rd degree burns over my entire upper body.  You always have to think before you do when playing with our toys.

Gender issues are important too but safety is #1.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 02:47:40 pm »
+1 to that. Same here.

Looks like we're on the same page.

I'm perpetually planning to move the brewing outdoors (though not in this weather, for sure) and have had the burner for a LONG time but never used it.  Picked up a 15 gallon pot last summer for my birthday and have the ball valve and step drill bit gathering dust.  If I can find time for it, I'll be adding more risk factors for my kids to navigate next summer!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 02:54:19 pm »
+1 to that. Same here.

I'm perpetually planning to move the brewing outdoors (though not in this weather, for sure) and have had the burner for a LONG time but never used it.  Picked up a 15 gallon pot last summer for my birthday and have the ball valve and step drill bit gathering dust.  If I can find time for it, I'll be adding more risk factors for my kids to navigate next summer!
+1 to that. Same here.

I still like to brew outside when the weather is decent, but I moved a few sessions indoors this winter. With the perpetual slick spots on the outside edge of the garage and kids running around out there to watch me, it felt a lot safer indoors a few times. Always looking for ways to make brewing go smoother, and nobody getting cut or scalded is a good start to that !
Jon H.

Offline Siamese Moose

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 03:38:38 pm »
I teach classes at the LHBS. It also has a tap room, so almost all of the students have a beer or two. I start the class with, "It's good brewing karma to have a beer while brewing. It's bad brewing practice to have too much." Especially at group brew events I get real worried about guys who have too much. I include about a five minute section on safety in my classes. As the pros say, there are brewers who have been burned, and brewers who are going to be burned, but there is no such thing as a brewer who does not get burned. I've lost track of the guys I know who've been burned, or "burned" by some other injury.
Please read her profile, and reelect my wife to the Governing Committee: Roxanne Westendorf

I named my brewery after my cat, Moose. He's Siamese.
Rob Westendorf
Cincinnati, OH
Bloatarian Brewing League current President
BJCP National (outranked by my wife, the Master Judge)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 06:17:38 pm »

Want to? Sure! Qualified to, skilled enough to, talented enough to, time enough to? Uh, no. Not to mention that I can't imagine writing an article on smart phone...

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 07:48:40 pm »
I've had some 3rd degree burns. Cut myself on a glass carboy. Hurt my liver a few time too. ;)