Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Andoid phone question  (Read 3794 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Andoid phone question
« on: February 26, 2014, 11:34:28 am »
Just picked up a new phone w/ Android on it.  It seems like I've heard of apps that will let you connect your laptop to the phone and use the phone to access the internet.  That would be really helpful when our power goes out and we need to get some work done.  Has anyone used one of these or know anything about it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Andoid phone question
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 11:42:49 am »
It's called tether or tethering.  I think it is built into Android.  I've done it but can't remember how.  It was described in my phone owner's manual.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 11:44:30 am »
Some phones can be set up as a hotspot where they create a WiFi network that your laptop can connect to. Whether it's allowed depends on your phone and cell carrier. Some carriers/plans charge extra to let you do this.  Sharing a phone's internet with a laptop via USB cable is called tethering. This also may be restricted by the carrier.  There are some apps that will let you bypass any carrier restrictions, but you won't find them on the normal app store I think. And I've never used any of them.

On my phone's old plan (Verizon) I had unlimited data and had to pay extra $$/month to tether or hotspot. My new plan is a 'by the GB' plan and I can tether/hotspot all I want. After all, I'm paying for whatever data I use.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 11:45:43 am »
On my phone it's Settings>Wireless & Networks>More>Tethering & Mobile Hotspot
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 12:44:43 pm »
On my phone it's Settings>Wireless & Networks>More>Tethering & Mobile Hotspot

Same here - Droid Maxx on Verizon running Android 4.4

I can't speak too much on performance, but I've used it a few times in areas that have no WiFi so my son can use our tablet. Seems to work fine for stuff like low-res YouTube videos.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 01:39:18 pm »
On my Motorola Droid RazrM there is an app called HotSpot installed by default.  The connection to the PC is via WiFi.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 02:03:43 pm »
I'm using an LG L39c running Android 4.1.  It's a Tracfone with Verizon service and so far I haven't found a setting in the phone to let me do it.  It may be too low rent to let me pull it off.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 02:05:04 pm »
I'd guess you can't do that with a Tracfone.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 02:06:04 pm »
I'd guess you can't do that with a Tracfone.

Seems likely but I'll keep looking til I can confirm that.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 03:23:45 pm »
I did some looking around and everything I found either states or alludes to this phone not supporting tethering. 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 03:33:38 pm »
You would likely need to root (gain root access) the device in order to do it.  This would allow you to tether but may void your warranty.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 05:02:51 pm »
I haven't tried any, but there are a bunch of tethering apps in the Play store. Hopefully one works for your phone.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 08:07:58 am »
With my old S1 and AT&T you could tether easily via hotspot or usb without an app. However with the S3 one needs to set up a separate/additional data plan in order to tether or hotspot. And it ain't cheap- $20 for 5 gigs.

Tracfone is non-contract? Pretty sure you won't be able to tether though you might be able to after rooting and installing a 3rd party restricted app. This place is a great resource: http://forum.xda-developers.com/ Rooting the phone is easy usually.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 09:34:35 am »
I thought about rooting.  I doubt I'll do it, but if I do it won't be for a while.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 10:53:47 am »
Even if the phone supports tethering your tracfone service might not allow it. I have Net10 and it is written in the terms of service that the consumer is not allowed to tether.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk