Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FIRST homebrew batch....  (Read 3948 times)

Offline blazer7

• 1st Kit
FIRST homebrew batch....
« on: February 26, 2014, 01:07:28 pm »
Hey guys, I'm letting my wort cool right now and waiting to pitch my yeast and then into my fermenter.  My question is, should I filter this through anything to get the hops and left over grains that shifted from the muslin bag into the batch, or just let them settle out? 
Sorry it seems like a dumb question, but I REALLY dont want to screw this up. :o

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Re: FIRST homebrew batch....
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 01:10:08 pm »
Let it settle.

I would try to pick up as little as possible, but not sweat it (I use a siphon). However, when rushed, I have dumped the entire kettle through a sanitized strainer to catch the hops, and it turned out fine.

A small amount of trub is beneficial, and too much only really interferes with yeast harvesting.

Offline blazer7

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 01:13:57 pm »
Thank you.  My thought to let it settle and do the best I could, but i wasnt sure about getting too much hops in the fermenter.  Hey, what's the worst that can happen.... I brew another batch and learn from this...?  Thanks again, I'm waiting for my temp to hit 80 or less.... sitting at 90 right now.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 01:18:54 pm »
Since you're at 90 right now, take a sanitized spoon and stir the wort, creating a whirlpool.  This will help accomplish a couple things.  One, all or most of the hops/grain should form in the center once the whirlpool settles.  Then you can siphon from the side of the kettle.  Second, it will help bring the temp down a bit. Lastly, it will aerate the wort some (you should still aerate in the fermenter though, either by shaking or using some other aeration method).

You can whirlpool as long as you want, but a minute or two should be enough. 

Congrats on your first batch!!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 01:40:40 pm »
I'll add:

I know you want to pitch that yeast right away, it's just burning a hole in your pocket (packet?) but wait, just back off and let that wort get down to 65* you might have to put the kettle in an ice bath to do it but it will make SUCH better beer than pitching at 80*.

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 01:43:22 pm »
+ a bazillion

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 01:44:53 pm »
+2.5  bazillion
Jon H.

Offline blazer7

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 01:50:43 pm »
hmmm..... I pitched at 76.  And yes it was killing me.  I was dying to get it in there and get it going.  Well, damage is done.  Here's a few specs:

Oatmeal Stout from Midwest Brew
All went fine except it did boil up pretty high after the hops addition.  no boil over but enough to spread hops all over the inside of the pot.  I tried to scrape the pot and put them back in best i could.  anyway...
It took about 1/2 hour to cool in the laundry tub with the ice.  Pulled it out at 78 degrees and tried to "decant" it into the fermenter.  I felt this did a pretty good job of aeration.  Added my yeast took a Hydro reading.  1.047 at 76deg.  She's all capped, airlocked and I'm trying to find best place to put her.  Wish me luck

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 01:52:41 pm »
luck!

it'll be okay, try your best to get that temp down some more now though, there is still time! It's not ideal but it will still help. get the fermenter back in the laundry sink with more ice water and keep things moving with a sanitized spoon for the next 20 minutes.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 02:01:37 pm »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 02:11:33 pm »
+2.5  bazillion

+ 1.060 bazillion!

1.047 Bazinga!

Hey!!!! You Made Beer!!!  Woohoo!!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 06:22:41 pm »
Looking for a place to put it? I suggest somewhere that you'll be comfortable because you'll be in there watching it for the next three weeks: -)

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 08:47:13 am »
Looking for a place to put it? I suggest somewhere that you'll be comfortable because you'll be in there watching it for the next three weeks: -)
Ain't that the truth. 7th batch fermenting as expected, FG right on point even though OG was a little low. Dry hopping now, and again tonight. Gonna be dying to bottle til Monday after work. Then 2-4 weeks conditioning. I really want to drink this now. As Jim said, get comfy but let it be and do its thing. First couple batches I was too eager and now know the mistakes I made in fermentation rushes. Don't rush it. The recipe likely does not call for enough time to get the job done, live by your hydro readings, not the recipe or airlock activity.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 12:41:27 pm »
Congrats on the first batch!! You'll have to report back with your first taste impressions and first batch experience(s).
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 07:28:40 pm »
Welcome to the hobby, obsession.... Try some in about a week and see how it tastes. If it it tastes hot or solvent-like dump it and start again.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis