Author Topic: FIRST homebrew batch....  (Read 1050 times)

Online duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: FIRST homebrew batch....
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 07:57:16 PM »
Congrats!

I'd only add at this point that you'd like the beer to ferment around 65-68 beer temp, not ambient.

You mentioned a tub, keep the vessel in that with water to buffer temps, if necessary you can add frozen water bottles to keep it cool, this will give you a nice clean ferment.

Cheers on the first beer!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline klickitat jim

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 09:39:04 PM »
Welcome to the hobby, obsession.... Try some in about a week and see how it tastes. If it it tastes hot or solvent-like dump it and start again.

Kudos to brewers who have the ability to dump. I rarely do, but I have. Some may remember me dumping my Wiener Quad. I've also dumped a partial keg of mediocre to make room for awesome. I refuse to gag down mistakes.

Ironic, because Denny has a couple bottles from batches just before my latest sharp learning curve. I would dump those compared to anything I'm making now.

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 10:28:04 PM »
The last beer I dumped was a spiced Christmas beer that was chilling with a floating thermometer in it. It was getting close to pitching temp and the thermometer broke sending glass and the metal shot (lead? ) into the wort.  I dumped and rebrewed.  Made a 5 hour brew day into about a 10 hour day.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 10:28:37 PM »
I called my rebrewed unleaded

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Offline blazer7

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 05:10:02 PM »
Thanks all for the advice.  As with everything else.... the first time around is a learning experiance.  I will say I did put the fermenter back in the tub with ice and let it cool for a good while.  Right now it's in my front closet.  1st off, I noticed my airlock still dormant.  I did some searches and found that my hydrometer is the way to test fermentation not airlock.... but it still makes me nervous.  2nd, I live it S Fl and have NOWHERE to keep anything below 70 with out purchasing a dedicated fridge (wife would kill me).  It's in my closet right now and the house stays about 77 but the tile floor in the dark closet my stay at 76.  Well see....

But! Whats a good time frame to take a good first hyrdo reading to make sure I have progress?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 05:32:31 PM »
Around seven days.

In  Texas we have similar issues. I was never really happy until getting a chest freezer and controller. I'm dedicated though. The tub will work well enough. You'll dial it in.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Be Sure To Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 05:47:17 PM »
Put your carboy or bucket in a nice dark cool closet if you don't have a fermentation chamber. I do most ale type beers like that. Just done do what I did on my first batch and check the gravity every day for a week and a half. Just let it do it's thing.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 05:37:20 AM »
Welcome to the best years of your life!  For temperature control you might want to consider searching swamp cooler and also consider heading to Home Depot for a coil of copper to make an immersion chiller.  Next to sanitation, temperature control is pretty important in the early stage of fermentation.  That said, this beer will still be the best beer you have ever made!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline blazer7

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 07:57:02 AM »
well, I have bad news!  All the advice from everyone has been great and well noted.  But something has gone wrong.  I checked my hydro after a week and found mold/spore/bacteria floating on the top of my much awaited batch.  I'm crushed... I thought for sure I had everything cleaned/sanitized very well.  Live and learn I guess.  Gonna order another extract kit today, unless by some miracle you guys says this  can be saved, which I really doubt

I have a pic but can't figure out how to post it.  I click the insert image button and it gives me html tags and now way to browse and upload.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 08:05:09 AM »
I think you have to upload to photobucket or something and then link in to the picture here.

Could be yeast or floating krausen leftovers. You're not always going to have a perfectly clear beer on top. Doesn't mean the beer is ruined but you shouldn't jump right to assuming it is infected.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing but I'm also a lawyer: The Kielich Law Firm

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 08:31:13 AM »
well, I have bad news!  All the advice from everyone has been great and well noted.  But something has gone wrong.  I checked my hydro after a week and found mold/spore/bacteria floating on the top of my much awaited batch.  I'm crushed... I thought for sure I had everything cleaned/sanitized very well.  Live and learn I guess.  Gonna order another extract kit today, unless by some miracle you guys says this  can be saved, which I really doubt

I have a pic but can't figure out how to post it.  I click the insert image button and it gives me html tags and now way to browse and upload.

the photo has to be hosted elsewhere. I use flickr or tapatalk on my phone.

Click the mona lisa icon and insert the address of the photo like this (I broke the code a bit so you could see it.)
img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7410/10506070514_848e5a103c.jpg[/img]

and you get...
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

Offline flbrewer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 09:47:59 AM »

I'll add:

I know you want to pitch that yeast right away, it's just burning a hole in your pocket (packet?) but wait, just back off and let that wort get down to 65* you might have to put the kettle in an ice bath to do it but it will make SUCH better beer than pitching at 80*.
+1. Wait wait and wait. I brewed a couple of one gallon batches recently and pitched too warm. Ended up w some funky cider smelling beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 10:00:03 AM »

If you can, after posting the picture here (after falling, Kraeusen looks funky sometimes), I would see if you can siphon out a sample from underneath the floaties. If it still tastes good, you should be able to bottle it, as long as you can keep the bottles cold after they carbonate, you shouldn't have to worry about bottle bombs.
In a Keg: Flanders Red Ale, Rye Altbier, Cascade/Topaz Pale
Fermenting: Flanders Red, Saison

Offline Untied Brewing

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2014, 02:47:52 PM »
I'm worried you may have taken too long to cool your wort in the first place. Perhaps something fell in if it didn't have it mostly covered while in the tub. Definitely get that picture up: it might not be anything bad..

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2014, 03:15:51 PM »
I'm worried you may have taken too long to cool your wort in the first place. Perhaps something fell in if it didn't have it mostly covered while in the tub. Definitely get that picture up: it might not be anything bad..

I doubt very much it's because of the time chilling. I routinely put my wort in the fridge for 12-24 hours before pitching to get down to temp with no infections except the ones I meant.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein