Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Stout  (Read 2914 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Dry Stout
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 07:11:30 am »
that is purty.

Joe - I think there was a BYO a while back that detailed the head color when using various roasted malts - IIRC Roasted Barley was the one that produced a white head, whereas black patent and chocolate malt had deeper tan.

could be wrong though - check it out.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 07:46:46 am »
I could see 1.010 above the beer so I called it 1.010, but probably 1.008-9
Wow, you really got it to dry out. I'm having issues getting my darker beers to dry out like that, or at least finish under 1.016. I mean, 1.016 is a nice finishing gravity for something like an oatmeal stout, but for a black IPA I want it to be a little drier or for a mild starting at 1.044, it shouldn't finish at 1.015. Although it's not bad or anything, just seems like it should be finishing drier.
Very nice looking beer there.
Jesse

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 07:47:18 am »
that is purty.

Joe - I think there was a BYO a while back that detailed the head color when using various roasted malts - IIRC Roasted Barley was the one that produced a white head, whereas black patent and chocolate malt had deeper tan.

could be wrong though - check it out.

Thanks. I'll look for that.  I use both black patent and chocolate in my stout, so that might be the trick right there.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 08:03:22 am »
I could see 1.010 above the beer so I called it 1.010, but probably 1.008-9
Wow, you really got it to dry out. I'm having issues getting my darker beers to dry out like that, or at least finish under 1.016. I mean, 1.016 is a nice finishing gravity for something like an oatmeal stout, but for a black IPA I want it to be a little drier or for a mild starting at 1.044, it shouldn't finish at 1.015. Although it's not bad or anything, just seems like it should be finishing drier.
Very nice looking beer there.

The Black IPAs I make are closer to IIPA level OGs, so I add some sugar to get a lower FG - I like to get it down close to 1.012 if possible. I agree - I like a stout to finish 1.016 or more, but Black IPA should finish lower. Sugar definitely helps.
Jon H.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 11:33:51 am »
Looks like purple!? highlights on my monitor!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 11:38:50 am »
Kind of garnet, ruby, in person. Its pretty dark, took full sun right behind it to see color and clarity.

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 06:34:55 pm »
Damn, that looks tasty. And here I am, all done with my 10 gals of stout.  :(