Long time lurker, 1st time poster.
Brewed a saison last weekend, everything went perfectly. Tasted my gravity reading and burned the holy s*** out of my tongue, throat & stomach. Still feels like what I imagine is an acid burn.
I used 2% acidulated malt but otherwise no adjustments to my tap water (lake Michigan hard water). No sanitizer/cleaner etc made its way into the beer as far as I know. Here's the 7 gallon recipe:
7# Belgian Pils
1# Flaked Oats
1# Flaked Rye
1# Flaked Wheat
4oz Acidulated malt
2# Corn Sugar
Rests at 142, 155 & mashout at 165. Pitched a big 'ol starter of 3724. Crystal/Galaxy hopped to the tune of 33 IBUs. OG of 1.051.
It took off like a rocket but has now slowed down into the classic Dupont stall (I'm not worried about that at all). Went to my 1st club (BABBLE of Lake County) meeting in 2 years last night to try and figure it out but it's a real head-scratcher. Wondering if all of the simple sugar had something to do with it, but removing that takes my % of acid malt from 2 to 2.4%.
I haven't taken a ph reading yet. I read that Calcium Carbonate can help take acidity out of beer - anyone have any experience with this? Hoping I haven't brewed up a big batch of poison. Any ideas would be much appreciated.