Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My entries are going to be disqualified  (Read 5789 times)

S. cerevisiae

My entries are going to be disqualified
« on: February 27, 2014, 02:10:21 pm »
I just realized that the beers that I entered into a local competition are going to be disqualified because I taped the labels onto the bottles.  To add insult to injury, I used clear packing tape to tape the labels onto the bottles, which means that it is going to take some effort to remove them from the bottles.  If my entries are disqualified for having taped-on labels, I hope that the club hosting the competition will allow me to claim my entries.  I would like to have the opportunity to remove the labels and enter the beers in another competition. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 02:12:04 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: My entries are going to be disqualified
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 02:14:40 pm »
Did they send you notice that they are going to be disqualified or are you just assuming?  That's sucks but I've never run or participated in a competition so I'm sure there are good reasons for using rubberbands and not tape. 

I also hear a lot of comp people say they hate when people use peanuts.  I can agree there...I hate those stupid things.

Good luck with this comp or getting you entries back for a different one.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 02:16:17 pm »
This sounds like an assumption.

As someone who runs competitions and goes through bottle check in, I will assure you that you will be cursed and grumbled at. But it is unlikely that you will be disqualified.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 02:17:01 pm »
you should contact the organizer and offer apologies.  People are generally pretty nice.  (stuff) happens.  Someone is always entering their first competition and it happens more than you think.  I suspect the organizing crew will curse you out a bit and do whatever they can to remove the labels.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 02:31:39 pm »

This sounds like an assumption.

As someone who runs competitions and goes through bottle check in, I will assure you that you will be cursed and grumbled at. But it is unlikely that you will be disqualified.
As one who was a steward at a local comp I can tell you that yes, we cursed but didn't disqualify the entries but check in with them anyways to be sure:) good luck!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 02:42:36 pm »
you should contact the organizer and offer apologies.  People are generally pretty nice.  (stuff) happens.  Someone is always entering their first competition and it happens more than you think.  I suspect the organizing crew will curse you out a bit and do whatever they can to remove the labels.

+1 - An apology up front will definitely be appreciated and certainly wouldn't hurt your cause.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 02:51:45 pm »
I have a special voodoo doll for entries like yours, but I've never disqualified one.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 02:54:46 pm »
I have a special voodoo doll for entries like yours, but I've never disqualified one.

That's funny !   If he has any phantom pains after the comp, I guess he'll understand.
Jon H.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 02:56:55 pm »
I hope that everyone is right.  The directions clearly stated that entry forms were to be attached using rubber bands, which is how I attached my entry forms.  However, the bottle labeling directions were not clear (i.e., there was no mention of how they were supposed to be attached). 

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 03:01:25 pm »
I bet you'll be just fine.  They'll grumble but they'll judge 'em anyway.  You live, you learn.  You forgive, you forget.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 03:17:22 pm »
I am not a hyper competitive person.  I pretty much avoided amateur-level brewing competitions during the decade that I brewed before taking almost an eleven-year hiatus from the hobby.   I only entered one contest during that period of time, and that contest was held in 1998.  I decided to enter this contest because I wanted to get more involved with the local brewing community. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:31:12 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 03:59:19 pm »
Yeah you'll likely be fine.  Not that many entries actually get disqualified from competitions.  They just say that you can/will be to ensure you follow the rules.  Rules are there to make life easier for all the volunteers. 
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 04:05:40 pm »
Stuff like this happens even to those that regularly enter

I just recently shipped off beers to a local comp and got an email a few days later saying I broke the rules by entering two beers in one category, clearly stated as a NO in the rules:( no biggie, through a suggestion from the coordinator another category was recommended for one that fit another style well so he facilitated the switch for me...easy deal!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 04:42:42 pm »

That's funny !   If he has any phantom pains after the comp, I guess he'll understand.

Should've added - I only laugh because I've been there . Sorry.  I taped my labels on in my first comp despite very clear directions to not do so, out of excitement, ignorance or some of both ! I didn't get disqualified, and paid a little better attention after.
Jon H.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 04:56:12 pm »
also, when the OP wins a medal, expect to hear "I nearly had to use a chainsaw to get that guy's label off the bottle; he owes me a beer!"  ;)