Author Topic: Unintended Trial  (Read 612 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
Unintended Trial
« on: February 27, 2014, 10:28:49 PM »
Chilling the wort for an American Premium Lager and realized I forgot to drop whirlfloc at 15 min. Will be interesting to see the difference if any.

Even if its nice n clear I'm not going to stop using it. But instead of freaking out I'll just see the difference

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
Re: Unintended Trial
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 10:43:50 PM »
Actually I can tell already that whirlfloc does its job cuz it's no where near as clear as I am used too. Looks like a wheat beer

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 11:10:51 PM »
I've found that time may not work quite as fast as whirlfloc, but it works nearly as well. I'd be willing to hazard a guess that by the time you're done lagering you probably won't see much of a difference.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 11:33:04 PM »
Well, there's five kegs ahead of it in the tap lineup, so hopefully I experience the same. I'm guessing this one will get kegged in two weeks and will lager at least a month

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 05:18:32 AM »
Whirlflock (and Irish moss in general) works great, but you can still get crystal clear beer without it. Ever hear of the reinheitsghebot? ;)
Keith Y.

Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 05:26:08 AM »
Sounds familiar

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 05:29:16 AM »
I went for a long time without using whirlflock or IM in my beer. In fact, I didn't start using it again until recently a year ago or so. That mean, I was brewing commercially without using it. Then I just happened to use it once on a small batch and noticed immediately how much clearer the hydrometer flask was. The other hydrometer flasks without WF cleared up over night. With WF you could see huge chunks of break. So now I use it for ever batch. Except for wheat beers.
Keith Y.

Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Online HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 06:11:51 AM »
+1 to whirlfloc. It's pretty effective.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 06:23:38 AM »
I've never not used it till now. But, this lager has no chicken scratch in it so maybe I'll see what reinheitsghebot tastes like.

Offline beersk

• Brewmaster General
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 07:05:32 AM »
I use Irish Moss and whirlfloc on occasion, but I don't feel like it makes enough of a difference for me to freak out about forgetting to use it. The beer clears up in 2-3 weeks for me either way, typically.
Watch out for those Cross Dressing Amateurs!

Jesse

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 05:56:06 AM »
I just ran out but doubt any more will be purchased. WF is fairly inexpensive and effective, but also is just another thing to keep track of and that list is continually under revision.

If it came down to it and you only had so much $$ to spend and a choice to be made, would you buy whirlflock or yeast nutrient?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Be Sure To Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 10:06:53 AM »
If it came down to it and you only had so much $$ to spend and a choice to be made, would you buy whirlflock or yeast nutrient?

Yeast nutrient, 100 times out of 99. I have used Irish moss 2-3 times, and never noticed a difference.
In a Keg: Flanders Red Ale, Rye Altbier, Cascade/Topaz Pale
Fermenting: Flanders Red, Saison

Offline el_capitan

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 10:14:26 AM »

This made me think a bit.  I've been using yeast nutrient in my stirred starters, but I don't typically add it to my boiling kettle.  Do you guys use yeast nutrient as a boil addition?

Also, I've been working through a big bag of Irish moss, but have been wondering about Whirfloc.  I'd like to hear comparisons between the two, if anybody out there has done trials with them. 

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 10:25:21 AM »
This made me think a bit.  I've been using yeast nutrient in my stirred starters, but I don't typically add it to my boiling kettle.  Do you guys use yeast nutrient as a boil addition?

Yup. 1/2 tsp at 10-15 minutes left in the boil (whenever I add my IC). I use it on every batch, and I find it to be very useful if I am underpitching slightly, or plan to harvest the yeast cake.
In a Keg: Flanders Red Ale, Rye Altbier, Cascade/Topaz Pale
Fermenting: Flanders Red, Saison

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 10:27:55 AM »
I just ran out but doubt any more will be purchased. WF is fairly inexpensive and effective, but also is just another thing to keep track of and that list is continually under revision.

Yeah, I'm in the camp that generally uses those items for different points in the process. Nutrient generally only goes in starters and whirlfloc only goes in the kettle. So, if I had to pick one I'd go with the nutrient.  Neither one is worth freakin' over  though.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brew Crew
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified