Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What in the tun this weekend?  (Read 9021 times)

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What in the tun this weekend?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 04:15:48 pm »
Hoping to brew up a dry stout this weekend if the family and weather cooperate with me:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 04:24:52 pm »
Brewed the Dry Irish ~ a month ago. Gonna brew a Foreign Export Stout tomorrow, ~ 1.068 ish, split, half as is, the other half with coffee and/or cocoa nibs  OR  bourbon soaked oak chips. Gotta decide. Coffee/nibs or oak chips will be added in keg, pulled when they're where I want.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 07:31:39 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline lbrewski

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 05:14:12 pm »
Kegged 1/2 of a recent 10Gal APA brew last night - (split batch) The WLP090 carboy was done 3 days ahead of the WLP001 (then 5 day dry hop). I hope the 001 is ready to keg this weekend.

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 05:31:08 pm »
Cant wait to flap a lip on this one:)

Style: Mailbock/Helles Bock
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 7.4 SRM      SRM RANGE: 6.0-11.0 SRM
IBU: 20.4 IBUs Tinseth   IBU RANGE: 23.0-35.0 IBUs
OG: 1.060 SG      OG RANGE: 1.064-1.072 SG
FG: 1.014 SG      FG RANGE: 1.011-1.018 SG
BU:GU: 0.340      Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz   Est ABV: 6.1 %      
EE%: 72.00 %   Batch: 5.50 gal      Boil: 9.15 gal   BT: 90 Mins

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------
Mash PH5.5, Ca-65, Mg-6, Na-13, Sulfate-42, Chloride- 64, Alkalinity-32, RA:-18

Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 15.1 oz   Total Hops: 1.40 oz oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS-----
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
5 lbs 12.2 oz         Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)            Grain         1        44.5 %       
4 lbs 9.5 oz          Munich Malt (6.0 SRM)                    Grain         2        35.5 %       
2 lbs 7.3 oz          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM)           Grain         3        19.0 %       
2.1 oz                Chocolate Rye (Weyermann) (245.0 SRM)    Grain         4        1.0 %         

Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 5.85 gal of water at 160.3 F        150.0 F       60 min       
Decoction 1/3rd   Decoct 2.03 gal of mash and boil it     168.0 F       10 min       

---SPARGE PROCESS---
>>>>>>>>>>-RECYCLE FIRST RUNNINGS & VERIFY GRAIN/MLT TEMPS: 65.0 F/68.0 F
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD BOIL CHEMICALS BEFORE FWH
Fly sparge with 5.04 gal water at 168.0 F

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.049 SG   Est OG: 1.060 SG
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
1.00 oz               Perle [7.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min           Hop           5        18.0 IBUs     
0.40 oz               Tettnang [3.90 %] - Boil 20.0 min        Hop           6        2.4 IBUs     

Offline howlinghound

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 06:58:09 pm »
I see Pinski's response about Maertzen-  This is my wife's favorite.  Any good recipes that folks can share?

Thanks in advance... (can't figure out how to quote a previous post)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 07:03:45 pm »
Northern english brown and a honey pumpkin ale.  Actually its a honey butternut and acorn squash ale but who's really gonna know ;)
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 07:20:55 pm »

... (can't figure out how to quote a previous post)

If using the website, there is a quote link within the post. If using Taptalk on a mobile device, tap the post you want to quote and select quote from the options.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 07:23:29 pm »
I jumped the gun on the weekend,Y'day I brewed 12 gallons of a West Coast Blonde. One hundred percent pilsener, chinook and BRY-97!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 11:28:53 pm »
I see Pinski's response about Maertzen-  This is my wife's favorite.  Any good recipes that folks can share?

Thanks in advance... (can't figure out how to quote a previous post)

There should be a quote button if you're on a PC. If you're using tapatalk, a long press and hold on the post you want should lead you to the option to quote.

Regarding the Märzen suggestion, we had a thread on this not too long ago with some good ideas:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=18087.msg229937#msg229937
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 04:46:10 am »
I brewed 5 gallons on barly wine. This is a recipe I used to brew every year, up until 2006 (last time I brewed it.) But I ended up drinking them so slow I decided to stop brewing it. I just don't drink a lot of Barly wines. I like them, when the mood strikes. But I guess I'd rather drink a whiskey. I finally drank the next to the last one right before Christmas. So since I only have 1 left I decided top start up the tradition again.

Next week I'm brewing 10 gallons of Helles.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 06:14:34 am »
I'm working on a special/best/premium bitter. Trying out First Gold hops for the first time. Anybody use those before?
Think I'll call it Most Premium Bitter.

What else is going on out there?

I Love First Gold. Nice fruitiness and a lot golding spiciness. My best results came with a big addition in the 20-15 min range.

Otherwise, I am brewing a Landbier. Pils, Munich, and a touch of caramunich I. Haven't decided on the hops yet. 833 for the yeast. I believe this to have been the 2nd best beer I have brewed in the past. Looking forward to seeing what the adjustments this time make.
Magnum for bittering and Hallertau Mittlefruh worked well for the one I did last year. That one was yummy, and you can start drinking it on the young side as it makes a nice Kellerbier.

To be on topic, no brewing this weekend, but a lot of cellar work. Next weekend Mrs. R is out of town, it will be warmer, and I want to do my Special American Lager and a Ballantine IPA clone.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 06:18:50 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 11:06:11 am »
...no brewing this weekend, but a lot of cellar work.

Same here.  I've brewed 9 batches so far this year, so I'm going to be kegging a batch, cold crashing another, etc.  I hope to brew an RIS next weekend and then chill for a while and wait for a few kegs to be emptied before cranking it back up. 

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2014, 11:48:16 am »
Brewing a Hefe tomorrow that I call Clove Grove Hefeweizen and bottling my Irish Red Head in the morning. It's friction cold here in Colorado Springs. I like brewing in the winter time cause the ground water going through my immersion chiller is so cold.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2014, 01:46:38 pm »
Cellar work here myself. Gotta bottle two entries for NHC and make rom in a keg for the last one. I am jealous of you guys with 5-10 kegs. It's hard to work with two.

Also still need to taste some sours and decide what I want to do with them. Thankfully they are a patient bunch.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2014, 03:16:59 pm »
Trying out a few new one gallon batches. Just altering hops and schedules.